Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help from you! Buying a car and have questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help from you! Buying a car and have questions!

Update on me buying a car: I gave the seller a refundable $500 deposit to hold it till Wed and not show it for sale.

It's an LS1 Z28 M6 w/35k miles
Mods are:
Slp air lid with K&n high performance filter
Hypertech 160 degree thermostat
Asp underdrive pulley
Fast 90mm intake manifold
Nick Williams 90mm throttle body
Subframe Connectors
Eibach pro lowering kit
Kooks stainless steel 1 3/4 headers
Kooks Stainless steel ORY pipe
SLP LM exhaust
Patriot performance dual valve springs
TTperformance V3 Equalizer Camshaft
TTperformance Pushrods
Hp Racing wheels 18x8.5 fronts 18x9.5 rears
Sumitomo HTRZ II 245/40/18 tires up front
Bfgoodrich Drag Radials 275/35/18 for the rear Lots of tread left on both tires.
Billet Grille
PIAA fog lights

There is a few things I wanted to ask some mechanics and you guys about the car before I buy it.

1. He says the car needs a 5-8min warmup before revving it over 3k rpm/driving it a little hard. I think this is with everycar, not strictly for this car correct?

2. The car doesn't have a bad clutch, just won that is rated at lower than the power the car is putting out. It is the stock clutch, runs fine, but 1st gear has trouble catching from a stop unless you rev it to about 1,500-1,800 rpm. I'm new to stick muscle cars and wonder if this is normal, or due to the massive amount of power, or due to something with the cam? I don't know, and my dad hasn't driven V8 stick cars in over a decade so he didn't have an answer.

That's about it. Car was rust free. Ran smooth. Ran perfect. Tires had lots of tread. Cam sounded sick. Sounded perfect. Found the car had more mods than listed (subframe connectors and something else I forgot about). Exhaust was literally 2-3 X's as loud as my shorty headers and duals set-up on the 05 mustang. Found out the car made 427rwhp and 401rwtorque on a 100degree+ day, said in 60's/70's degree weather it would put down in the 440's(mechanic's told him). And the guy was nice. Actually found out he's selling the car now for money for college and no time for the car. All I wanted to do was find out the info on this and then I will buy the car. Thanks guys for all the help!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 PM

Also wondering how hard/expensive it is to do tune ups on these cars? And every how many miles should I do one? Probably when I get the car? Thanks ahead!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

That clutch slipping is not normal. Not a huge deal, but a better clutch sounds necessary.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The whole warm up thing sounds normal for a car with a large cam and aftermarket valve springs.

I have those same Patriot dual valve springs (this goes for any aftermarket springs actually) and I baby my car and keep it under 2500rpm until it reaches operating temperature.

The reason for this is because aftermarket valve springs are more brittle than stock springs when cold. Once warmed up they are better and can handle much larger lifts.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:00 AM
12 Second Club

I have to agree with all of the guys above. Yo need to let every thing get warmed up before hammering on it. After market springs really need to get to operating temp before you start to nail it. With everything listed if it is on the stock clutch then you should look into a better setup. If/when yuo do the clutch make sure you look into changing the master and slave cylinders as well
Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 AM

Sounds like I am getting a new stronger clutch put in. Probably a Spec Stage 3. And I am still wondering about the warming up thing. Do you guys think I can warm up the car for 1-2min, and drive casually for 5 min keeping the rpm's under 3k and be fine or is that pushing it? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, I drive mine as soon as the idle smoothes out, just don't get on it right away like you said.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

The only thing I would be worried about is the 10 bolt rear end, Thats the weakest link of the whole drivetrain.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
The only thing I would be worried about is the 10 bolt rear end, Thats the weakest link of the whole drivetrain.
welcome to the world of an f-body!

other than the clutch it looks like a great car, just get the ls7 kit and call it a day. some people have seen some sag with that spring kit, but its usually after a good number of miles, definately not something that would scare me away from that car
Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 PM

One other thing. I was going to call the shop that put in the cam and new internals, but the engine when running sorta jumps/shakes a lot when started and running (even shakes the clutch/shifter). I don't know if it's from the cam or what. He has new motor mounts that are stronger that should hold it in place, should I worry about this? Any possible wear from this jumping? The car is putting out near 130rwhp over stock so I thought this could be expected possibly. Any ideas? Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you got yourself a modded car already.expect a chatter on the spec clutch on the 500mi. break in period.good luck.