Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure? water on oil cap also.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure? water on oil cap also.

I had some ticking on my motor that comes and goes, usually you can only hear it when its cold. It goes away after 15 minutes of driving maybe. I ran regular 10w-30 on the car before and thought that would have fixed it, but it didnt. So I went out and got some seafoam and changed my oil to 5w30 mobile1 synthetic and that made no difference. My autometer oil pressure gauge reads about 17 i think at 800 rpm when its warmed up. When I rev it to 2k it would go up to 25psi. But I have never seen it go higher than roughly 26psi no matter what RPM i'm at. Could it be my oil pump is going out? Maybe the o ring for the pickup is broken?

Also I just checked my oil cap and when I took it out, there were drips of water(maybe about 3 drips) and some plaque like resdue. I'm thinking I could have a bgh but the oil isnt milky, and I dont overheat.

Specs:
stock 99 ls1
6 quarts of mobile1
mobile1 oil filter
car runs at a steady 195(using a temp sensor on the passenger side head)

Thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about your pressure but the moisture droplets and milky buildup under the oil filler cap is normal. Too many short trips and not enough engine heat to get the moisture out of the crankcase.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenp
I don't know about your pressure but the moisture droplets and milky buildup under the oil filler cap is normal. Too many short trips and not enough engine heat to get the moisture out of the crankcase.

Oh so its normal, thats what I thought. I do make lots of short trips, maybe about 5 miles back and forth from either work or school.