Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure at first start.. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No oil pressure at first start.. HELP!!

Just need more feed back to continue with my conversion...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...tart-help.html

leave you a stract of what i posted..

" I´ve just start my new engine (conversion 04 gto LS1 on my 73 camaro) and run it for about a min, a no oil press on the gauge (electric autometer). The oil sender is next to the oil filter. Yesterday I´ve check again just with the starter like 3 times.. 10 seconds turning without starting, and nothing, then took the sender out and turn it again and oil was coming out of the hole. I took out one valve cover and no oil got out when y turn the engine but still going out oil from the oil sender hole (with this I guess it is not a problem with the o-ring on the oil pump/Pick up tube as the oil is coming out..). Maybe the engine need more time to get full of oil? it was drained and empty of oil for about 6 months before this procedure.. I´m using motul 5w30 oil.

... some answers..

You say you have some oil coming out of the oil sender hole, you should have alot of oil coming out, Pretty sure you had to change the oil pan and pickup for the retro-fit, I had the same problem and it was a pinched o-ring on the pick up tube and I had still had a little pressure but very little, I tried all of the other tricks that I read about on this forum such as adding 10 qts. of oil and still I had no luck I had to do what I didnt want to do which was pull the engine and drop the pan and check the pickup tube and sure enough it was pinched, I installed another o-ring and tried again and same problem, well on try #3, I found the pickup was slighly cocked when I bolted it down so I gave it a little muscle persuasion and bent it and made sure it sat flush with the pump, and for extra insurance I installed one of those oil pump girdles that clamps the pickup with two bolts the pump itself and that finally solved the problem. Probably not what you want to hear but you probably already have that feeling in your gut especially if you know for sure you had a good running engine prior to the swap as I did.

That´s exactly my feeling and what i dont want to hear... the engine was runing and it only have 30k miles on it, so i guess it doesn´t have any oil issues on it, as you mentined I had to change the oil pan and pickup tube.. apperently I installed correct .. better double check ....but it is like starting al over again...

..more answers..

G.M. part Number is 12557752 but make sure it is blue and not red, the red ones were replaced with a updated version and it is blue in color and if i am not mistaking even the blue one was updated with a better blue one so ask the parts person to make sure it is the newest version, although the parts person probably doesnt even know that they have been updated. Where did you get your pickup? Make sure that it sits flush to the pump when you tighten down the retaining tabs on the pickup tube, if it doesnt sit flush when tightened down it will suck air from there and will give you the low oil pressure, I feel your pain I installed my engine 3 times and finally on the 3rd time it was the charm, it is such a simple set up I couldnt believe I screwed it up 2 times. Good Luck

..some results i have..

first... need to give thanks to JJFarm for his help

Now need to tell that meanwhile I wait for the new oring to arrive I installed a mechanical oil press instead of the electrical one I used last time (this last ones was working good before doing the conversion.) I did a new oil press test, took out all the plugs and start turning the engine just with the starter.
.. guess... the instrument started to go up until 30 lbs.. did this twice and the same results... ... no strange sounds.. just the sound of the engine turning...

Then did the same but looking to the valve-train .. turn the engine for like 10 second like for 3 time waiting a min in between... no oil came out on the rockers... just dont know what to do.. what do you think? maybe need more time to get oil there? also I think I will check on the original oil sensor with my electrical instrument... to see if i have the same press that the other instrument show...

Please need some coments on this.. i´ll love NOT to take out the oil pan to change the pickup tube o-ring..

I leave you a video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHSWPdz6ABo
Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

nobody have any comment??? .. please?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

patoruzrs. did you ever figure out what the problem was?