Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey guys ... Do the stock pistons have valve notches?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hey guys ... Do the stock pistons have valve notches?

Before you guys freak out, I talked to a few of you about engine roughness and chattering noise. Well, I tore the top of the motor apart to change valve springs and lifters, which both were damaged. I had my buddy lap the valve while I was doing some mild porting on the ports, when he said look at this. He was lapping the first intake valve and there was contact only in one small area. I knew what it was. I showed him by putting the valve in the head and moved it to show at least a .010 gap from the seat to the valve. All eight intake valves where bent. I looked at the pistons in the block and saw the impact marks. So I bought a set of both intake & exhaust valves from Thunder Racing. A quick lapping to confirm the contact spots of the new valves and put everything back together. The car runs ALOT smoother and not chatter noise. The old valve would seat at one position. So that is why I did lose pressure on compression test. The factory spring free height was between 2.03 and 2.07 where the service limit is 2.08 so they were toast. So just to let you guys know what my problem was. After about 80 miles, I will get on it hard and do some runs. See if I had some power loss.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Hey guys ... Do the stock pistons have valve notches?

This would do much better in the internal forum. Not too many newbies are gonna be able to help out with this one. No help from me, sorry.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hey guys ... Do the stock pistons have valve notches?

Sorry about that. I didn't notice the new forum. If someone is there to do it, move this to the Internal Forum