Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just found out

Old 03-07-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just found out

Just found out my motor was rebuilt at 54000 miles. Was looking through the paper work and found a reciept of about 3600 bucks. They were trying to chase down a knock. Anyways, see where they ordered a bearing kit and new pumps and so on. Don't see any bolt kits though. Can you re=use rod bolts and so on. I've never done that uless they are arp's or a high tensile strength steal bolt. Also what is road testing a crank? Cannot find anything about that. Just trying to see if they actually did a rebuild.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically the rod bolts and head bolts are what the GM engineers call a "torque to yield" bolt. So in reality they are one time use bolt, according to GM. Now there are some people on this board who have reused their bolts without problem. Personally I would go and get new bolts simply because they are not very expensive. However unless you physically take your oil pan off and look at the bolts you will not know if they are the stockers or not. And since you cant find a receipt, that may be a good indicator that they may have reused the stock bolts. As far as road testing the crank im not sure what you mean by that.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ What he said, anything stated to be "torque to yield" should not be reused again. Its one of those things that you get for the build, not the ones where "i'll get if i can afford them".
-Joel
Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock rod bolts, no. Do not reuse them. As stated they are torque-to-yield. However, if they are katechs/ARP's they are a hardened bolt and can be used again as long as they were torqued properly before.

Search this Thread