Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain info needed 98 ls1 semi built

Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question timing chain info needed 98 ls1 semi built

i am lookin for a single timing chain for my 98 ls1 eninge that just came back from machine shop. i was looking at cloyes hex but also read some on jwis chain , where can i find that chain for sale? can you get a complete kit from them will need to have cam degreed. comp cam lobe profile 3735r/3674r lobe angel 112 +4 duration @.050:230/227 valve lift .591/.571. looking to get a chain that i won't have to worry about chaging any time soon. thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a JP Peformance single for sale. Its the only single adjustable set I know of that also has the Torrington bearing on the cam gear. I have found there is no perfect set (JWIS chain, Torrington bearing, adjustable are the three things I wanted in a set). Also, I just found out because I bought one, the JWIS chain does not have a seamless roller like the Rolon chain that comes with the JP Performance set does. By the way, I have been told JP Performance bought Rollmaster in case you weren't aware of it. I guess its a case of pick your poison.

Last edited by vettenuts; 01-18-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
......By the way, JP Performance bought Rollmaster in case you weren't aware of it......
Where did you hear this? Rollmaster is manufactured by Romac, http://www.romac.com.au/ It seems that both Rollmaster and JP Performance market similar products, but there are a few differences in their product line cards. It looks to me like they both source similar parts from the same manufacturer.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jp performance piece is really nice,i have seen a couple of the rollmaster chains stretch after only a couple 1000 miles of running
Old 01-17-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
jp performance piece is really nice,i have seen a couple of the rollmaster chains stretch after only a couple 1000 miles of running
All chains will stretch some, you should have seen my stock chain at 60,000 miles

From what I can tell Rollmaster and JP Performance both source their chains from the same place.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

the ls2 chain is a popular one, and you can actually get those from teh dealer. never seen anyhting bad about one of those yet. i paid $54 shipped from TSP for mine
Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

i have no problem getting a ls2 timing chain at all, and even get a discount. i am curious do i need the adjustable due to after market heads,cam and other bolt ons or can i use a ls2 and still degree it correctly? this is my first build on a ls1 so don't beat me to hard asking before i buy! thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brans72ss
i have no problem getting a ls2 timing chain at all, and even get a discount. i am curious do i need the adjustable due to after market heads,cam and other bolt ons or can i use a ls2 and still degree it correctly? this is my first build on a ls1 so don't beat me to hard asking before i buy! thanks
If the cam is ground correctly and you do NOT want to advance or retard the cam timing than you do not need a multi-keyway timing set.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

but if i wanna advance or retard my cam i need a adjustable correct? i am just trying to stay away from double roller so i don't have to notch or grind my oil pump or cover due to melling pump. i'd ask who makes best chain but that can be debated but will listen to anwsers if you give a reason why you recomm it. thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a JP chain, purchased it from Patriot with my heads $65.00. Looks and feels like a quality product, Ill see how it performs when I get it runing.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

but if i wanna advance or retard my cam i need a adjustable correct? i am just trying to stay away from double roller so i don't have to notch or grind my oil pump or cover due to melling pump. i'd ask who makes best chain but that can be debated but will listen to anwsers if you give a reason why you recomm it. thanks.
You will need some method to adjust cam timing if you choose to. The three basic methods are 1) Multi-keyway crank sprocket, 2) offset cam pin, and 3) adjustable cam gear.

If you have time, I would suggest degreeing the cam before buying a timing set so you can determine if you need that specific feature.

Anyone that recommends a part around here gets flamed for something so I would suggest doing some research, making some phone calls, and go with what looks and sounds best.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like a good idea there 405hp, when i said semi built it's only mti heads stage 2 ported,2.055 valves for intake not sure on exhaust do have a number though for ferrea f6233p. comp cam,trick flow push rods,melling oil pump,arp bolts,speed pro pistons (didn't want forged since all motor not nos,ls6 lifters new, ported throttle body,ls6 intake,under drive pully and few other goodies. car that engine cam from dynoed at 425 rwhp and around 378 torque before i did slight rebuild and some freshing up of bearing lifters etc. hoping once running and tuned correctly i can get 445 rwhp for my chevelle but don't wanna claim i got it yet.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

I have the cloyes hex a just, I got it from speed inc. It's a breeze to install and when/if you degree it it will be much easier to do, you just use the allen key to get the cam where you need it.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Where did you hear this? Rollmaster is manufactured by Romac, http://www.romac.com.au/ It seems that both Rollmaster and JP Performance market similar products, but there are a few differences in their product line cards. It looks to me like they both source similar parts from the same manufacturer.
I PM'd someone in the business about some questions I had on my JP Performance setup and he told me that they had recently bought out Rollmaster. I haven't seen it anywhere (like a paper) but since he is pretty close to many of the company owners in this business I think his information is probably correct.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badass99ss
I just installed a JP chain, purchased it from Patriot with my heads $65.00. Looks and feels like a quality product, Ill see how it performs when I get it runing.
Which chain did it have? There has been a lot of trash talking on the Rolon chain but in comparing to the JWIS chain the Rolon has seamless one piece rollers, the JWIS doesn't (I have both sitting on the work bench right now). The biggest feature for me with the JP is the Torrington bearing. Last time I had the motor open there was some wear on the cam plate so I would think that a stouter valve train will increase that wear. The Torrington should eliminate it. This is the biggest problem I have with the Cloyes setup, there is no Torrington bearing on the cam sprocket.

And if you are shopping and come across the COMP 3153KT, they advertise it has a Torrington bearing but in fact it does not so be aware of it (it is simply the Cloyes Hex-adjust). I saw some vendors advertising it does (taken from COMP's write up) and some vendors not stating it did. I called COMP and was told it did. Then I contacted another vendor and he pulled one right off the shelf and told me it didn't even though he himself was advertising it did. He then called COMP and told them to straighten out their advertisements.

I have been doing a lot of research on the timing sets recently and I want to stick with a single chain, there is no perfect setup that I can find.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

had stock ls1 chain set on it, guess previous owner did not swap when cam was done. i went through engine due to seeing slight wear from a lifter and i wouldn't trust someone else saying it's got this that etc i wanna be sure what i got in a engine. i would really like a single chain that was a roller set up if i can use it for this build. thanks again guys.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

had stock ls1 chain set on it, guess previous owner did not swap when cam was done. i went through engine due to seeing slight wear from a lifter and i wouldn't trust someone else saying it's got this that etc i wanna be sure what i got in a engine. i would really like a single chain that was a roller set up if i can use it for this build. thanks again guys.
I agree, it's always best to verify. When you say roller, do mean roller chain or a set with a torrington bearing?

One idea I tossed around was purchasing the torrington bearing assembly seperately and having a cam gear machined to accept it. It's not difficult to do, but does add some extra customization cost.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
.....There has been a lot of trash talking on the Rolon chain but in comparing to the JWIS chain the Rolon has seamless one piece rollers, the JWIS doesn't (I have both sitting on the work bench right now)........
Are you saying that no JWIS chains have seamless rollers?

From Rollmaster:

Rollmaster exclusive-- German made Iwis seamless roller chain- provides superior load capacity and wear characteristics

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 01-18-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

saying the jwis chain maybe if will work with torrington bearing wored into the combo. like i stated this is my girst at timing chain on ls1 and wanna make sure it right and can correctly be adjusted easy. i want a single chain and upgrade cam gears. got anymore infor for me 405hp? thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

How about the N-Motion single chain set. It has billet cam and crank gears, a Torrington bearing, 9 key crank gear, and .250 seamless rollers. It looked good to me. Anyone used one? SDPC has them for $62.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing chain info needed 98 ls1 semi built