Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASA cam suggestions and advice, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ASA cam suggestions and advice, please help.

Hey fellaz,
I have an 01 T/A WS6 M6. I have all the bolt ons with the exception of the long tube headers, which I will be getting with the new cam. I have heard the soundclips and read all the info for the ASA cam part# 12480110. The cam sounds bad ***. I don't want to get a smaller cam and wish I had gone bigger. I really want to do it right the first time. I want it to have that choppy lope sound...the kind that makes you smile and grin every time you start the car. My question is can I keep my car streetable since it's my daily driver and can I use this cam with my stock heads? I saw that www.gmpartsdirect.com is selling the cam for $326.03. I really need your opinions before I go and order something I'm gonna regret.

Thanx for any advice you can give me...
zack
Old 07-21-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: ASA cam suggestions and advice, please help.

well....its a 226/236 Durration, 0.525/0.525 Lift, 110 LSA cam....

a good points:

1) that extra exhaust durration will really help the stock manifolds flow....

2) it will LOPE!!!!!!!!!

the down points:

1) there is a local guy who has the cam and it almost won't even run right (always trys to dye on him)....the 110 LSA is hard to make idle at anything under 1K....

2) the lift is low....

3) there are a lot of cams that make more hp and idle much better....

I hear you on the "dont want to go too small" thing.....

I sometimes wish I could have put something larger than my TR224/224 but most of the time I'm really happy with it.....

remember.....no matter what you do, you need to upgrade the springs to at least a 918 (unless you went with a HotCam then you could use LS6 springs).....
Old 07-22-2003, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone have any soundclips of that cam?
Old 07-22-2003, 01:35 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pm sent your way
Old 07-22-2003, 07:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It has the lope but not the power it should for the lope.You could get lope with a TR230 Cam and alot more power than the ASA cam.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but will I have any problems with idle or daily driving with a this cam or a TR230 cam? Should I maybe just go with a TR224 cam?
Old 07-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driveability on my TR224 114 is excellent; good as stock once warmed up. I've heard the TR230 is pretty good also; or you could get the TR224 on a 112 LSA for a little more lope and no worries about driveability. I would not expect the the ASA to have very good driveability, but I've never tried so who knows; that is somewhat subjective also.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

There is a guy in Phx who has that cam, and no tuning...and it seems to run fine.

But that cam is designed for use with stock manifolds, and to be revved all the time (racing).

For the duration that cam has, it needs alot more lift...like .570-.580ish range.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I had an ASA cam in one of my old setups. It was a heads/cam/headers car that was daily driven. I had no problems driving the car every day in Houston traffic. It didn't really like RPM's below 2000, although I could drive it in 6th gear at about 1800 RPM's without any surging. I really liked that cam and it pulled really hard from about 2500 RPM's to about 6500 RPM's. Any driveability problems could be taken care of with tuning, even though I drove it for a few months without it.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok....so if I buy the cam what else do I need to buy for the install. I know I'll need to get the 918 springs.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:58 AM
TECH Veteran

There is a guy in Phx who has that cam, and no tuning...and it seems to run fine.

But that cam is designed for use with stock manifolds, and to be revved all the time (racing).

For the duration that cam has, it needs alot more lift...like .570-.580ish range.

his car doesn't idle to save its life....its always trying to die....

the ASA cam is like most GM performance parts....they don't work.....the words FACTORY and PERFORMANCE just don't go together.....

go with either the TR230/224 if you want a little more lope and a little more power.....

if you want an easier driving cam that will still make a good bit of power, go with the TR224/224 on the 112LSA......
Old 07-23-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok....so if I buy the cam what else do I need to buy for the install. And also, what about the springs? What type should I get. The price doesn't bother me so much...I'd rather spend more and do it right the first time.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

his car doesn't idle to save its life....its always trying to die....

the ASA cam is like most GM performance parts....they don't work.....the words FACTORY and PERFORMANCE just don't go together.....

go with either the TR230/224 if you want a little more lope and a little more power.....

if you want an easier driving cam that will still make a good bit of power, go with the TR224/224 on the 112LSA......
I am assuming your talking about whats his name with the Black SS. Wow, I didnt have any idea he was having problems with it. When I talked to him about it, he really liked it.

This is where tuning comes into play tho. The more cam (larger) you go with, the more tuning is required for the engine to run properly.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

there are 3500lb h/c cars going 11.0's with the asa cam and the cnc'd ls6 heads its meant for. dont listen to the naysayers, no it isnt a dyno queen cam but if you want torque and a lumpy idle its for you. not to mention you could put together a heads and cam package for maybe 2k or so with everything included.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I am assuming your talking about whats his name with the Black SS. Wow, I didnt have any idea he was having problems with it. When I talked to him about it, he really liked it.

This is where tuning comes into play tho. The more cam (larger) you go with, the more tuning is required for the engine to run properly.

I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same guy......

he may like it.....but on more than one occasion at get together the car has almost died when backing into a spot.....he has basically become a joke of what not to do....
Old 08-03-2003, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

I'm the guy you guys are talking about. The car idles great, give it 30 seconds and it holds like a champ. It's a huge cam on a 110lsa, it takes some time. It lopes harder than anyone elses stock displacement LS1 that I've heard in PHX, and it destroys the lope of the TR230. The TR230 sounds weak, so does the 224 and the 220. I haven't haerd a harder loping car, nor have a I seen a flatter torque curve or HP curve. It doesn't make the peak numbers, but it's what under the curve that counts. Go to AZLS1 and find Z-Scrilla... he'll tell you what he thinks. I love the cam, the car is for sale right now, if it wasn't I thought about changing cams, the only one I'd go with is the World Challenge, this ASA cam is feeling a little small. I want even more lope. Besides, are we modifying our cars? Aren't there pro's and con's? You can't expect it to drive like stock witha big cam. With some more tuning I'm sure it would idle fine immediatly. I aslo ran the car with no tuning for about 4 months or so. It learned the idle fairly quickly and did great. The only reason I'm an example of what not to do is because all you guys are too afraid to put a big cam in your car. Just count how many times I was told the car wouldn't run period.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm the guy you guys are talking about. The car idles great, give it 30 seconds and it holds like a champ. It's a huge cam on a 110lsa, it takes some time. It lopes harder than anyone elses stock displacement LS1 that I've heard in PHX, and it destroys the lope of the TR230. The TR230 sounds weak, so does the 224 and the 220. I haven't haerd a harder loping car, nor have a I seen a flatter torque curve or HP curve. It doesn't make the peak numbers, but it's what under the curve that counts. Go to AZLS1 and find Z-Scrilla... he'll tell you what he thinks. I love the cam, the car is for sale right now, if it wasn't I thought about changing cams, the only one I'd go with is the World Challenge, this ASA cam is feeling a little small. I want even more lope. Besides, are we modifying our cars? Aren't there pro's and con's? You can't expect it to drive like stock witha big cam. With some more tuning I'm sure it would idle fine immediatly. I aslo ran the car with no tuning for about 4 months or so. It learned the idle fairly quickly and did great. The only reason I'm an example of what not to do is because all you guys are too afraid to put a big cam in your car. Just count how many times I was told the car wouldn't run period.
So what kind of times does it pull? I like the idea of GM parts and am thinking of the cam myself. Looks like it would be a great cam for a bigger inch motor.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

When you ask for times it's better asking what have other people ran with the cam. Do a search for CamminBeast and ask him what he's run, I can't drive and have a bad clutch, excuses yes, but well I suck. There are quite a few people in the Southern section with the cam that can drive and have the drivetrain to back it up. Check in there and you'll get some good responses.

Quick Reply: ASA cam suggestions and advice, please help.