Sponsored by:

H/C swap questions...cam and compression

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default H/C swap questions...cam and compression

I am about ready to order my parts for my head and cam swap for my 01 WS6

What I have decided on so far is the PRC stg 2.5 5.3l heads. At this time I will install new oil pump, LS7 lifters, LS2 timing chain, hardened pushrods, new head bolts, UD pulley with new bolt, Z06 MAF, and QTP longtubes. After the swap is done it will go to Ryne at CMS for a true dual over the axle system and dyno tune.

I already have the usual bolt ons:K&N, SLP lid, ported TB, smooth bellows.

First...I am deciding on a cam...I have narrowed it to either TSPs 228R or having Patrick G spec out a cam.I think I am going with the custom as it will only run me an extra $65 for it but would like some opinions from those who have done it.

Second...What compression ratio should I run. I was thinking 11:1 or close to it. I can have the heads milled to 59cc and get an 11.2:1 wih the GM MLS gaskets or I can pay more for the Cometic .040" and get 11.1:1 with the heads un-milled but the gaskets cost over $100 extra.I have heard it is better to use thinner gaskets so that I dont loose quench. I really dont understand this part and would be greatfull if someone could explain...opinions please?

Thanks very much in advance...I have tried searches but cant get straight answers to my questions.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump...