Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO or Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO or Corvette?

Ok here's the deal. I have a 2005 GTO with a Magnacharger. Great car, I like it a lot, but I'm thinking about getting a C5 Corvette. It just seems like the best American sports car for the money. I've been told good and bad about going to the Corvette from the GTO. I'm looking for Pro's and Con's on selling my GTO and buying a Corvette. One big thing I'm concerned about is power. The GTO with the Magnacharger makes over 500hp at the crank. After selling the GTO I would be willing to get a loan on a C5 for up to $20k. I would also have $3k on top of that to spend on it to make it faster. I would want the vette to be as fast or faster than the GTO. Also, if I can get the vette for less than 20, then I would be able to put more $$ into it to make it faster. Besides just speed, let me know the good and bad about selling a GTO and getting a C5 vette. Thanks

Mike
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by maggiemike
Ok here's the deal. I have a 2005 GTO with a Magnacharger. Great car, I like it a lot, but I'm thinking about getting a C5 Corvette. It just seems like the best American sports car for the money. I've been told good and bad about going to the Corvette from the GTO. I'm looking for Pro's and Con's on selling my GTO and buying a Corvette. One big thing I'm concerned about is power. The GTO with the Magnacharger makes over 500hp at the crank. After selling the GTO I would be willing to get a loan on a C5 for up to $20k. I would also have $3k on top of that to spend on it to make it faster. I would want the vette to be as fast or faster than the GTO. Also, if I can get the vette for less than 20, then I would be able to put more $$ into it to make it faster. Besides just speed, let me know the good and bad about selling a GTO and getting a C5 vette. Thanks

Mike
can you remove the maggie and use it on the C5?
i LOVE the GTO, but i've also never driven one (sat in one at rolex24 a few years ago)
If you can use the maggie on the c5, i'd say go for it, everything i've read has said they are totally different cars.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For me its the inshurance in the end you will be forking out alot more for a Vett thats why I have a camaro its Called a Cupe in MI because it has 4 seats. Other than that Go for it but your going to have to spend just as much and more to make the vett go faster because everything is expensive for vett's.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

May get more responses in another section. But my opinion, for what it's worth, is that the GTO has a nicer interior than the C5. Other than that, I love just about everything about the Vette. The Vette will also hold resale better than the Goat. Speed wise, the Vette has a good advantage from the start being a lot lighter. So probably wouldn't take as much to make as fast or faster. 450-475 crank hp would probably get the job done and be had with many heads and cam packages. I'm sure others will chime in on this. I've been contemplating a C5 myself. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bolt ons are more expensive for a Vette, but aside from that it's all the same parts put together a little different. Vettes are awesome..I didn't think so until I drove one, then I bought one.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
For me its the inshurance in the end you will be forking out alot more for a Vett
thats not always true!
i went from a 02 Camaro V6 to a 99 C5 and my insurance dropped $22 a month!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM
8 Second Club

Not a whole lot of things are more expensive for the Vette. Think about it. Headers/exhaust, CAI, and maybe some chassis/suspension parts. But a FAST 90/90, injectors, heads, cam, pulley, and Nitrous are all pretty much the same price anyways. It's the insurance and if you get into a fender bender (body work) is what kills ya. I dont know if the LS2 Mangacharger will be compatible with an LS1. But I think you should go for it. Get a Vette.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it. the vette is fun as hell to drive since it feels so small. The handling is just badass compared to my trans am. Don't know how a gto drives but the vette to me feels like a big gokart
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
For me its the inshurance in the end you will be forking out alot more for a Vett thats why I have a camaro its Called a Cupe in MI because it has 4 seats. Other than that Go for it but your going to have to spend just as much and more to make the vett go faster because everything is expensive for vett's.
Actually I looked into the insurance side of it and it would be $20 less for the vette. I think it has something to do with the average vette owner being older and less of an insurance risk. You're right about the parts though, they are very expensive. All the motor parts should be the same though.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 AM
8 Second Club

ha ha, Just like a big go-kart! lol
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 AM
8 Second Club

But what parts? Headers and cat back and CAI? Ok, add up the price difference. Is it really a midigating factor?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigleman
can you remove the maggie and use it on the C5?
i LOVE the GTO, but i've also never driven one (sat in one at rolex24 a few years ago)
If you can use the maggie on the c5, i'd say go for it, everything i've read has said they are totally different cars.
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure. I think i would need to change a few things, maybe even send the blower to Magnuson to have them change some stuff to make it work, but I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible...something to keep in mind I guess. I wouldn't have any cash on hand if I sold the GTO without the maggie though...but I guess it doesn't matter if I can get the blower on there. I'd prefer to do a KB but you can't always get what you want
Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
But what parts? Headers and cat back and CAI? Ok, add up the price difference. Is it really a midigating factor?
that's true, I guess they're not really a ton more. The GTO parts are pretty expensive anyways.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
8 Second Club

BTW, you wouldn't need much for power to match that mangunson. I put H/C/I on my ls1 and got 462rwhp. Thats about 510hp flywheel. N/A
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
BTW, you wouldn't need much for power to match that mangunson. I put H/C/I on my ls1 and got 462rwhp. Thats about 510hp flywheel. N/A
Did you ever run it at the track?

What about rattles? I've heard people say that C5's start to get "rattly" with age? One thing I like about the GTO is the interior is very nice and nothing rattles.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i say go with the vette. you could always sell all the parts on the goat and then use that money to put into the vette. and youll always have that "he drives a corvette" and you cant really do that with a goat or trans am or camaro. but yeah i say go for it
Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by maggiemike
Did you ever run it at the track?

What about rattles? I've heard people say that C5's start to get "rattly" with age? One thing I like about the GTO is the interior is very nice and nothing rattles.
I spray on track, but all motor its low to mid 11s in a TA when I'm hooking and 4.30s.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

If i had a GTO with a maggie i wouldn't even think about anything but trading it on a C6. Going to a C5 is a step down.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 AM
8 Second Club

Get the Vette lol
Old 03-19-2008, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by COD02SS
If i had a GTO with a maggie i wouldn't even think about anything but trading it on a C6. Going to a C5 is a step down.
why do you say it's a step down? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to look for actual pros and cons.