Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring Job?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ring Job?

So my car has basically been sitting the past year. I was getting a lot of blow by and fuel in the oil, plus lots of blue-ish smoke. Basically what it appears happened was an O2 sensor failed, and because i'd been running SD and didn't know something was wrong (check engine light was on for the maf unplugged) the fuel went too rich and washed out the rings.

Unfortunately my fiance had to have surgery last week, so my funds are not enough to do a full rebuild as I had planned.

Is it ok to just hone the cylinders and re-ring the pistons? Will I run into problems doing this? Any estimates on what it might cost me?

I did a search and haven't come up with much on this.

Eventually I plan on doing a full build up with a LQ9/4 block but right now I just wanna get my baby back on the road... I'm going through withdrawals, (not to mention making payments on a car I can't drive).

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i feel your pain bro.....had 93k on mine.....did h/c/i headers......threw a rod....shitty..
got a lq4 block started over fresh....i am just getting over what you are starting....my lq4 was a piece of **** before the machine shop got ahold of it......they did a excellent job and all i am waiting on is a tune now.....i say do a lq4.....pick up one cheep and get the ball rollin....

good luck....
Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done a piston & ring change while the engine was still in the car , Not to hard but you will need to keep every thing cover and clean as possible, I took rags and covered the rod journals, when you hone out the cylinder the oil will have grit from the honing rocks that will destroy a engine , so keep every thing clean and take your time , You will need new rod bearing and head gaskets and it would be a great time to put new valve stem seals and check your lifters and it would not be a bad time to upgrade your oil pump to a LS6 . It should not cost you more than 350.00 for rings head gaskets and rod bearing.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks randy any estimates on labor? I don't have the tools or space to do it myself right now, let alone the time.