Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd question about checking piston to wall clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Odd question about checking piston to wall clearance

I had the bores bored/honed to 3.905 recently to fit the Diamond pistons that I bought. I am planning on spraying on it later probably around 250 or 300 so I know the clearances are suppose to be a little looser between the piston and outer wall. I installed the pistons last week and everything looks pretty good but to me some of the clearances "look" a little tight. I know it sounds crazy for me to say that it simply "looks" a little tight but I'm just trying to make sure everything is taken care of and checked and double checked before I start this thing up and beat on it. I don't want any mistakes. I was wonding if I could check the clearances with a feeler gauge to get an accurate measurement. Or should I just stop being so particular about everything and just put it back together? Here's some pictures of the bores. What do you guys think?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the cylinders should be the same. You said , "some" . I'd check it. You can check it with a feeler gauge, but you'll need to take it back apart. Did you check the ring gap? I had my block honed and mine barely fit a .002 feeler gauge on the pistons. My speed pro rings gap checked at .020 in every cylinder. I was pretty happy everything was that tight. When engine building... measure 3 times, Torque once.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Using a feeler gauge is not the most accurate method, but you can do that in a pinch. Whether you use a feeler gauge or dial bore gauge, you must check it at the skirt. Pistons are barrel shaped, with the specified clearance measurements taken at the skirt.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowec
All the cylinders should be the same. You said , "some" . I'd check it. You can check it with a feeler gauge, but you'll need to take it back apart. Did you check the ring gap? I had my block honed and mine barely fit a .002 feeler gauge on the pistons. My speed pro rings gap checked at .020 in every cylinder. I was pretty happy everything was that tight. When engine building... measure 3 times, Torque once.
Well to elaborate, I didn't really mean anything by saying "some". All the cylinders look the same just a little tight. The machine shop matched every piston to each cylinder and ended up opening them all up to 3.905". I'm probably just worrying too much about everything...