Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brand new comp cam, no dowel pin

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default brand new comp cam, no dowel pin

im installing a cam for a local here and i unwrapped his brand new off the shelf comp cam grind and there is no dowel pin in it. i attempted to pull the pin outta the stock cam but it is not coming out. There is a hole for where the dowel pin is supposed to be and when installed everything seems to line up properly. ive done about 20 cam swaps and this is the first ive seen with no dowel pin

i know a really really want it in there but i have to finish this car tonight and was curious if it is a mandatory part or just a really good idea

thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We ran into the same problem. Comp seems to be famous for this, really calls their quality control into question.

The pin is case hardened, you can't remove the old one without damaging it. I think you are screwed. Send it back and get another. If you call Comp, they will tell you to pull it out and swap it, very bad advice. Their tech support is worthless.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their support isn't worthless. You just need to put yourself in their position...each tech deals with atleast 100 people a day....many who shouldn't be installing a cam in the first place. I know this because I was a tech there...now I own the ONLY LSx shop in memphis. If you can pull the pin out of the stock cam...use it...no problem doing that. If you can't or don't want to. Just call them and have them send a dowel pin to you..it's that simple.....
Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn this is turning out to be a bitch

cam is in the car, looks like it has to come back out. no fun on the vette since the steering is back in place already cause i had to move the car
Old 03-30-2008, 12:57 AM
BBT
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian@SpectacleSolutions
Their support isn't worthless. You just need to put yourself in their position...each tech deals with atleast 100 people a day....many who shouldn't be installing a cam in the first place. I know this because I was a tech there...now I own the ONLY LSx shop in memphis. If you can pull the pin out of the stock cam...use it...no problem doing that. If you can't or don't want to. Just call them and have them send a dowel pin to you..it's that simple.....

There's people at COMP that shouldn't be making cams too .......
I received a COMP off the shelf grind last year missing a dowel pin...I degreed it in without one. Their tech support said just pound one in....I should have told them to go pound something in too

Good luck
Old 03-30-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh man i know how much of a bitch it is to remove the rack and lines i'm in the process of doing heads/cam on my '98 and just got everything back together down there. Now i have to wait for new head studs because i got sold a set from a guy here saying they were pre '04's but they were '04+ so the car sits in 1000 pieces in the garage until they get here. I'd say call comp OR see if you can find a place that works metal and have them replicate the one from the old cam. They could do it that day i'm sure.~Cole~
Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn guys, its just a dowel pin. Is it a nominal size (like .1875?) they have those at most hardware/parts stores. all that pin does is clock the cam to the timing gear.

Quick Reply: brand new comp cam, no dowel pin