Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on engine life left

Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some advice on engine life left

Background: ~4K miles of track time on a intake/exhaust LS6 in my Z06.
I've never really had oiling problems that I know of, but that's now false after the fact (I don't read my gauges when cornering and I don't have an alarm set for oil pressure)

There's a noticable amount of bearing material in my oil pan, but the bearings are still there.

I went with the following:
I was installing dry sump anyways, but I'm going to run a bit heavier oil, said don't worry about it yet; it's an excuse to go back and change engines. Run it till it blows up, so long as I don't screw up the pan thats all I care about.

From anyones experience, wisdom, etc; I'm curious
1) How long will it possibly last given a lot of abuse?
2) Will it *potentially* last long enough for 200 miles of hard abuse and like 300 miles of lackadaiscal street use?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a pretty good engine builder, but a lousy fortune teller.

That's an impossible question to ask and expect a reasonable answer to. No one will be able to tell you how long it will last. If you're finding bearing fragments in your pan, that's obviously not a good sign. At this point, catastrophic failure could occur at any time. Keep your foot out of it, and you might extract some more mileage, but I wouldn't be beating the **** out of it.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default vegas baby

man you should post some pics and add a pole on this to see what all recomend to do if theres bearing material in the pan - fix it before it blows it could cost ALOT more later - got to read the writing an the wall
Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew the engine was going to explode, that's a given considering its lived this long, a nasty 454 will take its place. But I was wanting to get a swag number on maybe how long it will last so I can freakin drive the car at least a lil bit hahaha.

Rest assured, when I blow it skyhigh, its a testament to lifetime durability, and I will have pictures.

Hmmm. Well, time to start moving timelines around again.

Search this Thread