Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roller rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default roller rockers?

does changing out the stock roller rockers for an aftermarket set yield any gains in performance? i mean staying stock ratio. im looking at a cam kit that you can get with aftermarket roller rockers or without.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, not really - most people do it for a more sturdy rocker (some stock rockers can spill needle bearings), but stockers are more than enough for most setups.

Crane has some quick lift rocker arms that may offer some small gains, but last time I checked, they were really expensive.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so ill probably pass on them and just get the cam. thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your stock rockers are not roller rockers! They are just rocker arms. The only way you can get more power by changing rocker arms is by changing the ratio. Go from the stock 1.7 ratio to say a 1.8 ratio. That will give you a little more lift with the stock cam. If you are going to be putting in a cam then don't waste your money on new rockers unless you are changing them with the cam.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by odarabla
Your stock rockers are not roller rockers! They are just rocker arms. The only way you can get more power by changing rocker arms is by changing the ratio. Go from the stock 1.7 ratio to say a 1.8 ratio. That will give you a little more lift with the stock cam. If you are going to be putting in a cam then don't waste your money on new rockers unless you are changing them with the cam.
Well, the stock rockers are roller trunnion rockers, they do not have roller tips though. Aftermarket ones like crane or Yella Terra will have the roller tip. Old school SBC stamped steel rockers didn't have a roller trunnion or tip - just a pivot nut and plain tip.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimes
Well, the stock rockers are roller trunnion rockers, they do not have roller tips though. Aftermarket ones like crane or Yella Terra will have the roller tip. Old school SBC stamped steel rockers didn't have a roller trunnion or tip - just a pivot nut and plain tip.
But the stock rockers are stamped metal with a plain flat tip, not roller rockers. Am I correct? This is a picture of a rocker arm verses a roller rocker arm. Sorry for the confusion.
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/roller_rockers.html
Old 04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by odarabla
But the stock rockers are stamped metal with a plain flat tip, not roller rockers. Am I correct? This is a picture of a rocker arm verses a roller rocker arm. Sorry for the confusion.
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/roller_rockers.html
No problem at all. The LS engine rocker arms have roller bearings where they are mounted to the cylinder head- the pivot point. They are just plain tipped though - where they touch the valve. Aftermarket rockers will have a roller bearing at the mounting point and at the tip that touches the valve.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimes
No problem at all. The LS engine rocker arms have roller bearings where they are mounted to the cylinder head- the pivot point. They are just plain tipped though - where they touch the valve. Aftermarket rockers will have a roller bearing at the mounting point and at the tip that touches the valve.
I understood that. Thanks. I just didn't want someone to get confused and order the wrong set of rocker arms or something..