Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a custom cam......

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a custom cam......

alright so i've been have problems getting my torquer 2 cam to have good driveability on the street and spend 800 dollars in tunes i'm done waisting money. will a custom cam give me the best of both worlds driveability/power?
i really wanted that big cam sound but i geuss it comes with a price to pay.
if anyone wants to chime in who custom grinds or what grind i should go with please share.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLP Firehawk
alright so i've been have problems getting my torquer 2 cam to have good driveability on the street and spend 800 dollars in tunes i'm done waisting money. will a custom cam give me the best of both worlds driveability/power?
i really wanted that big cam sound but i geuss it comes with a price to pay.
if anyone wants to chime in who custom grinds or what grind i should go with please share.
my cam pretty much has the best of both worlds....230/230 111+2 .612/.591 comp custom grind....lobes are xfi/x-er...i have the lobe number in another post recently...otherwise you can just look on comps site...
Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

will that cam work with stock heads? i was told to not really go over 600 lift for ptv clearance
Old 04-02-2008, 07:22 AM
9 Second Club

I just installed my 231/232 .612/.588 cam this weekend. Drives almost like stock on the stock tune. After I get it tuned I see no reason why it wont drive almost completely like stock. I know a dude around here who is in the process of installing a torquer 2. Hope he doesn't have the same issue.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think you need a new tuner. There is no reason a tv2 can't be an acceptable DD. Plenty on here DD bigger ones with no issues.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I think you need a new tuner. There is no reason a tv2 can't be an acceptable DD. Plenty on here DD bigger ones with no issues.
ive already had it at 2 different places they both couldn't get it to stop bucking. i'm just trying to narrow things why as to why no one can tune my car
Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

have you loked at the o2, and iat, maf readings to see where they are at.

You may have a o2 going bad, or the others could be getting clogged. and it is messing with the tune, also what software are they using. if they are using HP tuners there are pleanty of people that have bin files on hand for the T2 that are DD friendly.

I am just throwing ideas out there for ya. If two tuners couldn't get it right something is definatly up.

Who put the cam in- did they advance it any?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

i put the cam in there is 2degrees of advance acourding to matt from texas speed, they are using hp tuners were could i get a bin file and would i be able to just download it or do i have to pay? also i could try changing out the 02 sensors, i already changed the plugs 3 times ($63) for a set of 8 times 3 sets do the math. i've got some o2 sensors i can throw in but other than that they can't seem to get rid of the bucking and then when i try to pull away from a stop sign the car like dies and wants to stall so i have to ride the clutch real bad.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

228/232 on 112 ~.600 on XER... kinda rough at low RPMs but perhaps it's in the tune, not sure. Either way, once i get past 1.5k RPMS it does it's job... parking garages are a little tough though.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya its your tuner. Hell my MS4 didn't buck any in my car and its bigger than that TV2 .. You just need to find a reputable tuner for your car. Thats the bottom line.

A custom cam will definitely make more power where you need it. Bc it will work with the other components that you have on your car.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bjamick
Ya its your tuner. Hell my MS4 didn't buck any in my car and its bigger than that TV2 .. You just need to find a reputable tuner for your car. Thats the bottom line.

A custom cam will definitely make more power where you need it. Bc it will work with the other components that you have on your car.
what kind of set up do you have, my car has stock injectors stock ls6 intake stock maf sensor, will that have any effect on the tune?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would probably bet it's a little of driver error and maybe a little tuning. The TQ2 cam is a VERY streetable cam. With a good tune the car should drive extremely well. However, if you are trying to drive the cam down around 1500-1800, you are going to see some low RPM bucking with a 230+ duration cam. You can still knock down good mileage without having to run the car at that low of an RPM. As long as you keep your foot out of it, your mileage really won't change a whole lot. You have to remember, the car is shooting for a 14.5-15.0 AFR under part throttle conditions. Another 500 RPM will probably help the bucking and still keep the mileage up. A custom camshaft is not the answer. With a duration of this size, it doesn't matter what LSA or how many degrees of advance someone tells you to grind a cam on, you will still have these issues. If you are concered with mileage and wanting to drive the car at that low of RPM, I would make a BIG drop in duration. Let me know what you decide to do. If you decide to change cams, let me know and I'll get you back to our sale pricing on a different cam.

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ Good man.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

will that cam work with stock heads? i was told to not really go over 600 lift for ptv clearance
Duration is where you will find the ptv clearance issues and not with lift.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
Duration is where you will find the ptv clearance issues and not with lift.
that being said can i get a cam with lower duration but same/ or bigger lift and still make good power? but then not have the surge/bucking problem?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

there are tons of guys runnign the 224 cams and making great power. that is probably what you are wanting.

I asked on if the degreed the cam in for the fact that I thought it was drivor error but didn't want to say it, and if it was not degreed in it would only produce more bucking at low rpms.

I run the T2 on stock heads, ls6 intake, stock maf, and injectors- but those are changing very soon, and I haven't had a problem with tuning.

If you use HP tuners you can get a bin file from them, or go on their forums and ask for some help. I am guessing it is not in your tune though.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

that being said can i get a cam with lower duration but same/ or bigger lift and still make good power? but then not have the surge/bucking problem?
Im by no means a cam expert. Rapid motorsports is currently installing a 226/226 .609/.600 110+2 lsa. It should have decent driveability and have a good power range. Patrick G is the one that recommended that cam for me. I told him that I wasnt concerned about peak power and dont run the car past 6k rpms and wanted a nice choppy idle. The best thing to do is talk to one of the guys on here that know their cams and tell them what you are looking for. You will benefit more than if you get a shelf cam.

I am also a M6 with 4.10s so I could get away with a little bigger cam if I wanted.

Also a good tuner will help a lot with the drive ability of a cam. Mikey at Rapid is tuning mine and I have heard nothing but very good things about his tuning abilities.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Im by no means a cam expert. Rapid motorsports is currently installing a 226/226 .609/.600 110+2 lsa. It should have decent driveability and have a good power range. Patrick G is the one that recommended that cam for me. I told him that I wasnt concerned about peak power and dont run the car past 6k rpms and wanted a nice choppy idle. The best thing to do is talk to one of the guys on here that know their cams and tell them what you are looking for. You will benefit more than if you get a shelf cam.

I am also a M6 with 4.10s so I could get away with a little bigger cam if I wanted.

Also a good tuner will help a lot with the drive ability of a cam. Mikey at Rapid is tuning mine and I have heard nothing but very good things about his tuning abilities.
yeah i've heard nothing but good things about my tuner also. so then do you think its normal and i'm just driving it differently? i'm not crazy worried about gasmilage but when i'm not beating the car i like to cruise in 5th gear... i sapose gears would help me out because 6th gear is useless there is no power and its at such a low rpm.

partrick g did recommend a cam to me however i do not want to buy another cam if this problem is going to still exist.. i know many of you are thinking its in the tune it could be or it could be the cam??? i'm just trying to get it sorted out cause i would like the car to drive better than it currently is
Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think some guys are getting carried away with "custom" grind cams in thinking they are somehow miraculously better than a "shelf" cam. I can't speak for every shop on the board, but I do know that we actually go to the engine dyno with several cam combinations before releasing a cam to the public. It's not like we just pick some lobe profiles off a sheet and expected them to work! Before we released the MS4, we tested over 10 different LSA/ICL combos and lobe profiles before deciding on the specs we use now. The same kind of R&D goes into every cam. We have had the TQ2 cam out for several years now. Comp even has the cam listed as a shelf cam for them now! I'm not saying the custom cams aren't good or bad. I'm just pointing out that from the testing we have done, the cams that work on paper aren't always the ones that have the best useable power and driveability. There isn't the night and day difference in a degree of duration or a degree of LSA like has been played up here. We have countless pulls on the dyno to back up our data. Not just a calculator on a desktop.

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Jon- i see were you are coming from were custom is not always the answer... in my case bigger is not the answer i think i need something smaller. is it possible to get a smaller duration cam with the same lift and lsa 112? i would like to keep that big cam sound having the torque come in around 2500 rpm would be nice.