Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stink Smell On My 4runner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stink Smell On My 4runner.

My dd is a 04 4x4 4runner sport. For some reason when ever I step on the gas there is a stink smell (I know save the jokes for later). I am thinking a bad catalytic converter? On my TA I have no cats and the exhaust does not stink. I swear it stinks. It only happens when I step on it, regular pulls it is fine. Any ideas?

Last edited by tasilver; 04-04-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Teching In

I think it is more likely an air/fuel ratio problem, caused by a bad sensor. Sorry, other that o2, I don't know what sensors toyota uses to control a/f metering. The cats only work properly with a narrow range of a/f.

Are you able to smell this in the vehicle? Maybe there is an exhaust leak caused by a plugged up cat.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

does it stink like its a burning smell or like a rich fuel mixture smell? it could be that the engine just doesn't have any room to breath because of emissions and cat's and it makes the exhuast get very hot under wot pulls
Old 04-04-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah it does smell more electrical. I have never had a vehical do this before. You can not smell it in the cabin but you can if you put the windows down. I was trying to get an idea of where to start looking for the problem. I will have plenty of time to check this week since my car is in the shop getting new heads and a cam.