Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rockers took a crap bought brand new ones

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rockers took a crap bought brand new ones

well I was driving my car and I heard a loud noise coming from the valve covers and I was like no good. So I pulled over and I pulled them off and some of the rockers were missing their needle bearings. I found some of them but I couldnt find all of them. I think they melted but I dont know maybe they fell in the motor I dont know but my ? are this I should just buy a bunch of cheap oil and just poor down the motor and drain it to get all those needle bearings out? and my other ? I just said screw it I am gonna replace all 16 with brand new ones should I soak them in oil so the bearings get some oil in them? Also what would of caused those rocker bearings to do that could of it been from when I did my cam swap and let them sit there dry for so long? thanks any help would be great Joe
Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry too much about the other needles, they'll find their way to the drain plug. Soak the new ones, torque the down with a light coating of sealer on the threads and you're good to go. Some of the earlier rockers had issue with the clips and bearings, so a straight swap should be good. Alternatively you can have those rebuilt but it's your call.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

thanks alot for the info yeah I could have them rebuilt but I donthave the down time for it get the new ones monday and I am taking it to get tuned after that so I would
Old 04-05-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Check the for sale section, the Comp pro mags can be had for cheap and they're a full roller rocker.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't worry to much about it, but if you have an extra qt or 2, can't hurt to help flush it out.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Hey....

If you dont mind my asking.....could you describe the sound. I think I may have the same problem. After I did my head swap everything was good. Then after the last oil change I started getting a high pitched "grinding" (best i can describe it) coming from the area of number two rockers. Oil pressure is a solid 60psi at idle. The noise comes and goes.

Thanks.

R/

Frat