Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfire on number 4 applies here to

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire on number 4 applies here to

Ok i was using the bottle then when i slowed down i had a mis fire, i pulled the plug and the porcilyn was broken but that was it so i figred that i screwed the plug no big deal. i replaced the plug and it is still doing it. i changed the coil pack and also when i drive my car now it sound like i have an exhaust leak. I heard no sounds during use just when i finished the run. if i keep it above 2k it usually does pretty good. Could it be a bent push rod? Broken spring? i have searched through the forums to find the answer but no luck,found people with similar issues but no answers. I read about a leak down test, you will have to forgive me but i don't know what that is. also if i am going to have to pull the head what is the easiest way. any help would be great.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: misfire on number 4 applies here to

Ohh boy, I hate to tell you this, but, if you cracked the porcilyn you had some severe detonation, there is a good chance you broke the ring land off your piston, you can check this by a leak down check or rev the engine with the oil cap off and see if it huffs out some air and smoke,
A leak down test is when you fill the cyl with air, one gauge reads air pressure the other reads a percentage off pressure loss
good luck man
Old 07-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Restricted User

Leakdown test...you need a leakdown guage/compresison guage. Unplug coils, and remove plugs, screw it in suspect cylinders plug hole. Crank engine and look at cyl pressure. There is no "you should have XXXX amount of pressure" cause each combo is going to be different. if there is noe, you have a dead cylinder. Write down the cyl. and press. then move to the others and write them down. There should be no more than 10% between them;
1-210
2-180
3=195
4=188
5=190
6=199
7=200
8=205
and your good there. next, you can put a little oil in the cylinder that is low if you find one and crank it up again. this time if the press raises it is a ring/piston problem. if not, then it is valve/spring/pushrod problem.

Was all the porcelain on the plug, or was some missing? Missing is not good as it had to go somewhere, and porcelain is very dense material.

You can pull pushrods easy enough yourself, go to ls1how to and look at the cam install write up from jmx, and look specifically for the pushrod removal. lay all them on a glass surface or other true flat surface and roll them, there shouldnt be any wobbling around.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you had a piece of a sparkplug flying around in the motor, it could have gotten caught under a valve and dinged up the valve and/or seat.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Well i pulled my valve cover and pulled the pushrods and they were straight, i also intorduced approx 90-100 lbs of air into my cylinder and i could hear it come out the exhaust, then i got someone to put air in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and i could feel air comming out the exhaust. so i am pretty sure it is just the exhaust valve it screwed on that cylinder. so i am going to use another head that i have. it has the same casting numbers on it will that be ok. it is the same year engine as well. or should i have the valves done on the car? if it will not hurt anything i would prefer to use the old head i have. it was on my old engine before it blew up because someone left a wrench in the engine. thats a whole other story in it self. Thanks for the advised.