Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in intake manifold.............!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in intake manifold.............!

i think it is oil, it is very thin, dark gold, and oily, but it smells like fuel.

i pulled my tb off to replace with a ported one and i noticed some drops on the back of the throttle plate, i wiped my finger inside the manifold and got a little bit more as well. wtf is this?

also after i installed the ported tb, i went for a drive and it feels like the gas pedal is not as smooth as it was before, it has like an 1/8 inch - 1/4 inch of play before it throttles up, is there an adjustment or is this how they are?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

the oil back there is normal,,some are worse than others with that and their PCV systems.

is your TB cable pulling tight on the TB? sounds like a cable adjustment may be in order to relieve some slack. I have never done it, but it involves opening those lil black "pod" lookin things on the cables,,i want to say there are two of them (TCS car). Some folks do have to adjust to get full advantage of the bump stop mod as well. Mine has a bump stop, but when i floor it, my cable dosnt bring my tb cam all the way to the bump stop.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Oil in the intake is unfortunately not unheard of. a lot of guys run a catch can for that very reason. You may need to adjust the idle screw on the new throttle body as well.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ah, ok, just wanted to make sure I dont have leakage past my oil rings, cause im not ready to put my new motor in just yet haha. so that is what catch cans are for? what exactly would that help? keep the car from smoking?

where is the idle screw on the tb? been looking everywhere for it, not sure what it looks like or location.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 AM

Alot of people run an oil/air separator between the valve cover and intake. This will catch most of the oil before it gets to the manifold. Use a quality unit like one from Moroso or Stef's if you decide to use one.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Time for a catch can! I just got RevXtreme's and am very happy with it.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

the screw is on the bottom of the TB blade stop,,,,,opposite of where the bump stop mod is.