Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get cam out of block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to get cam out of block?

I've only been able to get the cam out to the point where 3 1/2 lobes are exposed(approx 6" out). I'm using the MAGNET method to hold the lifters up. I've tried wiggling, jiggling, lifting, spinning, rocking, etc. It feels and sounds like I'm hitting some solid metal object. Can't really tell which part of the cam is hanging up. When I first started to remove the cam the cam was hitting the cylinder #4 plastic lifter retainer. This was when I initially began to remove the cam. It was only 1/2 inch removed when the cam hit the cylinder #4 retainer. I pushed the cam back in. I then held my fingers on the cylinder #4 magnets as I slid the cam forward 1/2 inch. When the cam would hit I could feel a BUMP at both the INTAKE and EXHAUST magnets. That's how I figured out I was hitting the plastic lifter retainer and NOT the lifters themselves because the retainer is the only thing in COMMON to both lifters. I was able to get the cam past the #4 retainer with a little nudge, but once I got it just past the 3rd lobe it STOPPED. I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to get cam out of block?

give it a spin and...it should come right out. i don't even use magnets on ls1 cam installs.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try making a lifter tool out of 1/8" steel rod. Wrap the rod in velcro, running the velcro long ways (you might have to split the velcro strip down the center). Then with the cam all the way in, spin the cam a couple of times in both directions to throw the lifters up and then slide one rod down each of the two holes up and to the side of the cam. That should lock the lifters up and away from the cam. Then when you pull it out, you need to turn it and finesse it out. You need to be careful of the cam bearings and just wiggle until you can ease it past those.

It sounds like you're taking as long to do your cam install is it is to do ours. We just ran into a bit of a snag between the ASP pulley and the double roller timing chain. Time to pull it off and get it machined down, but we called it a night. Good luck and lemme know if you've got some more questions.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea, push it back in and just spin it to push the lifters up. I did mine without magnets also, but use um if you've got um. When pulling it out keep turning it to keep the lobe from getting caught on the cam bearing.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

You've a lifter trying to fall be carefull. The lifter is holding you back. Spin it to get the lifter back up and make sure it stays there.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:11 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Sounds like the magnets may not be holding the lifters up high enough..gotta have NO slack in the magnet at all.

The JPR lifter holdup tool is my new best friend for that exact reason.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

What I described does the EXACT same thing as the JPR tool, except mine costs about a buck.