Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions about Gen3 assembly and Patriot golds.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Few questions about Gen3 assembly and Patriot golds.

I am using new GM head bolts on an original style block with the 2 longer bolts. Should I add any type of lubricant to them? I've seen conflicting posts.

Is there any need to check them after the initial TTY?

Are the stock GM piston rings manufactured to proper tolerances, or will I need to file them to the proper gap?

What's the proper break in process for the new piston rings?

Is there a top and bottom to the Patriot golds? I took a quick glance at them the other day and couldn't immediately tell.

What all is involved in installing the new seats that are included?

Are they supposed to come in a box? Mine just came in zip lock bags

The parts are not in front of me, so I want to make sure I'm prepared in case the instructions are not detailed enough. Thanks.

Oh yeah, the oil pan has stamped into it something about alignment being critical. Is this a common sense type thing where I just line it up visually, or is there something that needs to be measured?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Please help. I've never put in new pistons. I can figure it out myself, but some insight would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

The store I bought it from didn't include the piston in the box they sent, so I didn't get too far last night.

Can someone just tell me if the patriot golds have a top and bottom?

And are all 16 valve seals the same or are there 2 sets of 8?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the Patriot golds, its not really a top and bottom but install them in this order:

Lay the black seat down first
Install the valve seal (all are the same)
put the spring on
lay retainer on top of spring
Compress spring and install 2 lock (small half circle peices)
Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
I am using new GM head bolts on an original style block with the 2 longer bolts. Should I add any type of lubricant to them? I've seen conflicting posts.

Is there any need to check them after the initial TTY?

Are the stock GM piston rings manufactured to proper tolerances, or will I need to file them to the proper gap?

What's the proper break in process for the new piston rings?

Is there a top and bottom to the Patriot golds? I took a quick glance at them the other day and couldn't immediately tell.

What all is involved in installing the new seats that are included?

Are they supposed to come in a box? Mine just came in zip lock bags

The parts are not in front of me, so I want to make sure I'm prepared in case the instructions are not detailed enough. Thanks.

Oh yeah, the oil pan has stamped into it something about alignment being critical. Is this a common sense type thing where I just line it up visually, or is there something that needs to be measured?
Ive never used any lube or etc on the head bolts, they have the loctice/sealant on them already. Just make sure the head bolt holes in your block are clean.

Not real sure about the GM rings, Ive never installed a set so I cant tell you if they are filed to specs or not. I would think they would be.

As for break in, Ive alwayas done three heat cycles then changed the oil, then took it easy for about 500mi

The springs normally dont come with directions.

Dont worry about the oil pan, just get all the bolts in the holes before you torque them down then follow the correct torque sequence.