Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help find the problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help find the problem

my buddy has a 2002 SS it has a knock that increases with engine speed but it doesnt really sound like its a rod knock or something that solid. we replaced the oil pump, timing chain, lifters, pushrods, and he even bought a new set of heads since he had them off, the car also has a ms3 cam in it. the car is an A4, the oil is clean no coolant in the oil, no metal in the oil. im at a loss i have no clue where else to look. could there be something in the flex plate area or torque converter that could be causeing this. the noise is coming from everywhere we cant really pin point where its at and everything else looks fine, i just need suggestions now of where to look next.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Launching!

anyone have a clue
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of oil pressure is it making? Does it do it when warm and cold? Does it getter better or worse when it warms up? Have you done a compression check? If you've replaced all that and still no luck then there's a good chance it could be a rod. You could have loose torque converter bolts, but that's about all i can think of that would cause a knocking noise.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Launching!

its like around 60 psi it does it as soon as it starts and doesnt stop at all, hot or cold. a guy i work with today said it sounds like cards in the spokes of a bicycle. no we havent done a leak down test or a compression test yet. got kinda feed up with it and left it.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get hold of a stethoscope for use on autos, get the car up in the air, and then use the stethoscope to track the source of the noise - you should be able to at least track it down to the area the noise is coming from.