Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need lots of advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need lots of advise

Recently i purchased a set of TEA 5.3 heads, Comp 224/228 .581/.588 112lsa Cam, Chrome Moly pushrods, Rollermaster Double Timing Chain, and a TSP Ported oil Pump. I have a Cmotorsports level 3 tranny on the way i ordered today , Performance Automotive Lower control arms, k-member, a-arms, STB, and SUbframe connectors on the way also. Im going to order either the NX NXL kit or a TNT or NX regular wet kit and spray around 100-150. My car already has a lid, filter, mac headers with x-pipe, BFG dr's, and a Vigi 2800 stall TC (which is soon to be done up to a 3600). This is my first time building an LS1 as was needing to ask a few question. 1) Are roller rockers needed, and if so are the yella terra shaft mount ones for $499 a good choice, 1.7 ratio 2) I know hydraulic lifters like to collapse... should i worry about upgrading those or not ? 3) I was told i could get by with the stock injectors and i just need a bigger fuel pump... is this all true ? 4) I was told that i would make more power and it would feel stronger on the street if i went with a cam in the range of a 228/232 ish with .570ish lift ...what do you all think. 5) From everything i can gather i should be able to at least get into 10's on spray with this setup... true or not. All this help is greatly appreciated, if anyone with similar setups could post dyno number or at least give me an estimate of what i will be putting down both on motor and on spray it would be greatly appreciated as well.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Need lots of advise

You will definately be in the 10's with that setup. Lifters and rockers are not "must" upgrade components, but worth every penny in the piece of mind department, especially on the spray. I'm running comp R lifters and stock rockers with a TR 224 cam and haven't had any problems so far. I will upgrade rockers eventually. If you have the cash why not go ahead and replace everything at once. That way you don't have to keep tearing into the motor.

If you do upgrade rockers the Yella Terra's are a very good choice, they show a few hp gain on the dyno and quiet the valvetrain down some.

As far as injectors go it depends on what year car you have. Most people with '98 '01 and '02 cars find the stock 28.8 lb injectors to be enough for a head/cam car but thats not true for all cases. A '99 or '00 car will need atleast a '98 or '01-newer injector.

The first cam you mentioned should be real strong on the street, I'd stick with it.

Matt