Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Climbs While Cars Rolling

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Climbs While Cars Rolling

My car doesnt want to idle..The problem all began after having my throttle body ported from some guy who didnt know what he was doing.Now my car doesnt hold a idle while the car is moving when it is in nuetral,instead the idle climbs to 1200+rpms and then will drop to normal when I reach a complete stop and only at a complete stop..
what ive tried so far:

Checking for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner on hoses
Cleaning out iac sensor MANY times(which was covered in metal shavings)
Cleaned the tps sensor

what else can I do?Can I drive without my iac sensor plugged in?How do I correctly check for a vacuum leak?How can I check sensors with a multimeter?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

are you throwing a light? if not its probably a vacuum leak. just recheck all your seals and make sure everythiung is good and torqued down. and the best way i konw how to test everything is with carb cleaner. good luck man!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

my truck does the same thing and the guy who did it said he worked it into the tune to avoid the truck stalling due to the cam. My truck throws no codes from it and idels up at above 20 mphish
Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Somebody on here recently had a similar problem and what worked for him was putting a stock throttle blade back into the ported TB. Whoever ported his took too much material off when knife edging the blade. The idle finally going down after completely stopping seems to be the IAC adjusting itself to compensate for the poor sealing of the blade when the throttle is closed. Like it eventually does compensate but it takes a little while after the car has stopped moving. If you have access to another blade, you could slip it in and see what happens.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

hmmm before I shell out some money for a new throttle body what else can I check?And how can I check it?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with TFFMP. It was over ported. When you come to a complete stop your idle under speed/over speed table and IAC are taking over and bringing you down to idle. You can try to take out some Throttle Cracker and Desired Air Flow and see what happens. Or find out what degree of timing the computer is going to to compensate for the high idle and enter that number into your Throttle Closed and Throttle Neutral timing tables, but I think you are going to have to get a bigger throttle blade or a new TB and have some one else port that one. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

retighten down your intake manifold bolts yet? that'd be a nice vacuum leak also
Old 04-21-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm are you saying it only happens when the car is moving/rolling ?..

a- I would see what scans on your TPS voltage and IAC cycles..
b- Did you check the blade of the Throttle Body to see if it is sealing around the bore?..
c- Check for Vacuum leaks on the throttle shaft bores.
d- did they epoxy the Throttle body pasage ?

Taking another wild guess here, but I maybe the VSS signal is inputting movemeent to the PCM and the PCM compensating for the car moving ??.. just a though...!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

hahaha, man this is the same exact thing that happened to me...checked out all those tables, took it to get tuned still nothing. replaced IAC, nothing...turned out the IDLE HOLE in the throttle plate was a tad bit too big, causing the idle to surge and idle high once the tired started moving. put the old throttle blade back on and it was fine...if you need me to get a picture of the original one and the ported one i'll pull it out
Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bczee
Hmmm are you saying it only happens when the car is moving/rolling ?..

a- I would see what scans on your TPS voltage and IAC cycles..
b- Did you check the blade of the Throttle Body to see if it is sealing around the bore?..
c- Check for Vacuum leaks on the throttle shaft bores.
d- did they epoxy the Throttle body pasage ?

Taking another wild guess here, but I maybe the VSS signal is inputting movemeent to the PCM and the PCM compensating for the car moving ??.. just a though...!
a.how do I check for cycles?odb2?
b.checked it with TB cleaner
c.yes
d.no epoxy
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by King Nothing
retighten down your intake manifold bolts yet? that'd be a nice vacuum leak also
yes ive tightened them down and sprayed 3/4 of a can of carb cleaner to check for any leaks

I just talked to the guy and he said hell find me a throttle body to swap but hes been bsing for over a month now..as of right now I dont have access to any programming software
Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

When i first got my throttle body ported it did the same......after the week the computer learned to re-idle and it went back to normal
Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

No it cant be the tune because its been over a month now
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could possibly try to reset the PCM's learned values. (tps,iac, fuel trims......) Try disconnecting your battery for a good 15-20 mins, reconnect the battery, start the car and let it idle for about 10 mins, test drive it and see if that helps......just a trick to use if you dont have scanner to read data.....
Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jattgunman
No it cant be the tune because its been over a month now
Have you put a tune in the car? If not i would say check the throttle body if you have a tune watch the tables and try and tweak the tune.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car does this to and my throttle body has never been ported. It has been tuned though. I cant remember if mine did it before the tune or not.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Ok guys so today I decided to try to partially cover up the little idle hole in the throttle blade with a piece of duct tape.I know that the idea was a good one for the long run I simply just wanted to start her up and drive around the block...so I covered half the hole with tape and started didnt got for a drive cus I was to worried it would get sucked in...seeing that she idled alot better I put a small screw and tightened with a nut completly sealing the hole and she hasnt climbed past 1000rpm with the car rolling in nuetral.....
Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jattgunman
Ok guys so today I decided to try to partially cover up the little idle hole in the throttle blade with a piece of duct tape.I know that the idea was a good one for the long run I simply just wanted to start her up and drive around the block...so I covered half the hole with tape and started didnt got for a drive cus I was to worried it would get sucked in...seeing that she idled alot better I put a small screw and tightened with a nut completly sealing the hole and she hasnt climbed past 1000rpm with the car rolling in nuetral.....
Liquid weld works pretty well for filling that hole. You can even drill a smaller hole if need be.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

So what do you guys think is the problem?A overported throttle body?the nut in the blade should rule out any vacuum leaks right?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could it be a idle sensor or do these car even have a idle sensor?