Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a motor built by someone else

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying a motor built by someone else

not sure where to put this mods move it if ill get beter response somewhere else...

never had a built motor...or built one...done plenty stock motors myself and thats always what i ran...dont have much experience with built ones though...ive talked to this guy and hes been nice and answered all my questions...it seems to be in the ballpark of what i wanted...and looks like it will work with my setup fine...hes shown me recipts...and boxes...part numbers ect...the motors already together (shortblock wise) no cam or covers...built by a shop local to him....

anything i should ask or know when i go to pick it up? guys been on ls1tech for a while but has a very small amount of posts....have a +2 trader rating...gave me his number very quickly and said call if i wanted to talk about it...
Old 04-21-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

btw motor seems to have been sitting for 1.5 years...never run...

should i have to disassemble it to re lube everything...or anything else?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

This may get moved.

I would tear it down and check everything and have a shop you trust put it back together when you get the rest of the parts.

I would allways tear them down unless the motor cam from someone I am friends with.

I would turn the engine over by hand and make sure it turns freely.

I would hate for something not to be torqued right and trash the motor just because you did not check it.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

well i was goana inspect all the bearings and maybe tar it down and re assembel it myself...dont think the guy will like me doing that when i pick it up but thats understandable...i dont expect anything to be wrong with it either way...
Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget to plastiguage the rods, and main bearings, also if you assemble it from the new shortblock dont forget the front oil gallery plug, and the rear barbell restrictor is installed. ohh and the main bolts if stock are TTY so you will need a new bolt kit. (get a good torque wrench and a torque angle meter). check the ring gaps while its apart, would be nice to know what material rings it has, pistons rods crank etc., molly rings are stronger, putting it back together make sure to check the splash shield for rod clearance, shim it down if needed (stroker cranks), if you want to do it right, check the mains to be true, send the crank rods and pistons to have them ballanced, use clevite coated main and rod bearings, they are the best out there. thats all i can think of right now.

Take your time. be sure to do everything correct. before you crank, you have to prelube the engine with the oil filter adapter pump. you can also verify getting pressure readings off the ipc oil pressure guage while priming if you can pump the thing fast enough.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned

well i have a recipt for it being balanced and machined...its got hellfire rings...compstar rods and diamond coated pistons...stock crank was cleaned, rings were file fitted...

i planned to plasti gauge it...
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

At the very least I would have the seller pull a couple of rod and mains for a quick plasitigage check, before shelling out your hard earned cash. I see no reason if someone wants to sell an engine to show the buyer a couple of basic clearances are within spec.

Personally, I would check all clearances before firing it up.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

oblivously i would check the clearences before fireing up

whats the factory clearences on a stock ls1?

Last edited by daniel6718; 04-22-2008 at 06:22 PM.