Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Valvetrain noise question, but should be easy

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Valvetrain noise question, but should be easy

Ok, i think i either bent a pushrod, crapped the bearings in my stock roller rockers or spun a bearing.

I can hear the tick tick tick tick, in my car, and above my valve covers, but its soooo much more apparent down by the trans bell housing. I have a 2.5inch Y pipe into a 3 inch single(no cats).

Is the ticking, much louder by the manifolds/Y pipe for you guys then above the valve covers?

This is the only reason why i think i might have spun bearing.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Bump, Just want to know if the valve train noise will travel thru the exhaust and be slightly or more louder by the Y-pipe than above the valve covers?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

isnt this the second time you asked this?The noise will travel from the engine bay...It could be your y pipe hitting the floor,exhaust leak,bent pushrod(did you hit the rev limiter?),loose spark plug,
Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

No, this is my first time asking this.

I hit the rev limiter at 6500rpms on a bone stock 99 ls1.

when i got home and pulled into the garage, the close walls amplied the sound of a ticking and thats when i first noticed it.. after driving it another day, the noise is getting louder. i'm REALLY hoping for a bent pushrod, but i'm thinking maybe the bearing on my stock roller rocker may have gone out.

the scarey thing is when i put my head near the back of the front tire, i can hear the sound much more clearly, which makes me think spun bearing.

the noise is RPM dependant, and not always constant. sometimes is pretty quiet(almost not there), once it was ticking every couple beats(if that makes sense). I plan on pulling off my valve covers tonite and poking around to see what i can find.

this thread was just for verification that the valve train noise could be heard in the exhaust clearly, in hopes that i dont have a spun bearing. wish me luck.

anyone else have some opinions?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Take off the valve cover and check all the rockers for tightness(5/8 socket?)..If one is loose theres the problem..But even if you do or dont find a loose rocker make sure you check the pushrods...pull them out and roll thm on a piece of glass...hope that helps, its all pretty easy
Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

I have heard several spun rod bearings before, its usually pretty obvious that it is not valve train related. My buddy recently spun one in a weaksauce 98 GT, sounded horrible, there was no mistaking it for anything but a rod bearing..very loud, metallic tapping/scraping. I am sure someone else has better description, but that is the best I can describe it. Drained the oil pan and found metallic shavings, we had the motor out the next weekend.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chased this problem in my 97 vette for 2 yrs.... ended up being a shitty seal on the oil pump o ring to pick up tube.

It's a pain to access and I didn't fix it untill I replaced this o ring when I put a cam in, but for sure the old o ring was the problem. I had the same symptom, loud ticking at idle and it sounded like it was coming from my oil filter. It was not the problem though. WHen I took off the valve covers at idle there was barely any oil making it up to the top of the engine.

No more ticking now with the new o ring and ls6 oil pump.

What oil pressure are you getting at warm (operating temp) idle?

Does the noise go away after a certian rpm or throttle load?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Use an automotive stethoscope. If it's in the valve train you will be able to pinpoint the pushrod or rocker. Stick it up against the oil pan and see what you hear. These things are awesome for this kind of diagnostics.

Troy
Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
I have heard several spun rod bearings before, its usually pretty obvious that it is not valve train related. My buddy recently spun one in a weaksauce 98 GT, sounded horrible, there was no mistaking it for anything but a rod bearing..very loud, metallic tapping/scraping. I am sure someone else has better description, but that is the best I can describe it. Drained the oil pan and found metallic shavings, we had the motor out the next weekend.
not always the case, I have been driving mine with what I thought was a ticking lifter for 3 months, and friday it started making the noise or a normal rod knock.

OP look around and check pushrods and make sure all your rockers have the needle bearings.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

okay guys an update. i bought some new valve train, its in the mail. But as i was leaving for work some dumb metermaid decided that it was in her best interest to tow my daily driver eagle talon. (registration issue)

I had taken the valve train apart last night, (only on the passenger side.) since i NEEDED a running car, i said **** it, i'll drive with the tick until i get the talon back.

so i put it back together and torqued everything back to spec. and the tick was gone. i think one of a couple different possibilities happened.

But i think when i over-rev'd it, it may have threw something slightly out of balance. maybe moved the roller rocker just slightly so it clicks against something other than the pushrod, like the valve stem locks. This would explain why its just annoying and not harmful to performance.

I was pounding on it and the ticking came back, but not as bad. I'm letting the engine cool down then i will be taking the valve covers off to see if i can see anything. I'll report my findings.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Regular

well I cant say that means you fixed anything since in the end the noise came back?maybe it was just a loose rocker but that usually doesnt happen unless you played with it previously....since you said you over revved it, im almost sure you messed up a pushrod(easy to change) you said you ordered a valvetrain?what does that mean?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

i meant i bought some pushrods, some stock roller rockers and some patriot gold dual valve springs.

yeah i was hoping that i had bent a pushrod. I took them out, and rolled them on my glass coffee table and a mirror, and they all(only the passenger side, since that is all i took apart) seem to roll fairly smooth. thing is, they all have this slight thudding when rolled. if rolled slowly, i cant see or feel a bend, but if rolled slightly quick, they make a thud thud thud thud. But all of them do this. what are the chances that they all are exactly bent in the same way. so i think they are supposed to be like this. Its hard to tell until my new ones arrive in the mail.

anyone else roll their pushrods on glass and experience similar "sounds".

taking it apart again tonite and checking to see if there are any changes. i took off the valve cover and didnt see anything physical different. IE swayed roller rocker.

Maybe i have a damaged lifter? This ticking noise is going to drive me insane trying to figure out. wish me luck...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

going to start tearing the motor apart this week for the cam install, we'll find out the problem here soon enough