Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Bore?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time to Bore?

Well this is my situation. I'm planning on doing some bottom end work to the motor. It has 140k on it and needs some gaskets pretty bad. Currently I'm taking some advanced engine performance classes at the local college and have the opportunity to get the engine bored and stroked for FREE...since it's through the college it would be a project the machining class would do. I heard that keeping heat cycled engines is actually sometimes better than getting new long blocks. If I bore the engine what should I shoot for? I'm thinking like no more than 40 over and maybe making it a 383 stroker. Then I can put in a 400 crank, new pistons, rod bolts, bearings and cam bearings (after I tank the engine). The engine is coming out of the car anyhow so what would you do in my situation? I want to keep the engine, so no smartass comments about putting in a new 408 lol!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell if its free go for it. And could you hook me up? But in all honesty just dont bore it too far over. Lucky
Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Halloran
Well this is my situation. I'm planning on doing some bottom end work to the motor. It has 140k on it and needs some gaskets pretty bad. Currently I'm taking some advanced engine performance classes at the local college and have the opportunity to get the engine bored and stroked for FREE...since it's through the college it would be a project the machining class would do. I heard that keeping heat cycled engines is actually sometimes better than getting new long blocks. If I bore the engine what should I shoot for? I'm thinking like no more than 40 over and maybe making it a 383 stroker. Then I can put in a 400 crank, new pistons, rod bolts, bearings and cam bearings (after I tank the engine). The engine is coming out of the car anyhow so what would you do in my situation? I want to keep the engine, so no smartass comments about putting in a new 408 lol!
you cant bore it .040 over and put a 400 crank it in. its not a traditional small block

the most you can really go is .005 - .007 i believe (out to 3.903 - 3.905 bore) depending on the block and put a stroker crank in but then you are running an undersquare motor (another topic entirely). unless you class is teaching resleeving which i highly doubt
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah you can't bore it much at all. These aren't like the old small blocks. And nothing interchanges with them. You could freshen it up and maybe do a stroker, which would be well worth it, but you will still have to buy some fairly expensive parts.