Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

double roller timing chain.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double roller timing chain.

Is it really a must or will the stock chain be ok? I put a double chain in mine but a friend of mine is putting in a cam w/ out changing it.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: double roller timing chain.

2 guys I know have a g5x2, with the stock chain, I couldnt get the sprocket off the crank so we said f* it and stayed with the stock, works fine for now.
-Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

I used the pulley puller to get my sprocket off. I had allready bought the chain so I figured I might as well put it on while I was there.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i heard you have to drill the holes for the double chain to fit!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Drill holes? In what? We just got done throwing a cam install together and we swapped a rollmaster double roller chain in there and it fit just fine. I don't think you REALLY need to use a double roller, but the peace of mind is comforting.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

It will fit fine if you use the shims that come with the kit. No drilling required.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard you have to drill the holes for the double chain to fit!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Drill holes? In what? We just got done throwing a cam install together and we swapped a rollmaster double roller chain in there and it fit just fine. I don't think you REALLY need to use a double roller, but the peace of mind is comforting.
I had to drill my cam pin hole out on my Rollmaster upper cam gear. The hole was .004 too small. All it took was a 1/4" drill and it fit fine.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the Cloves(sp) roller and use the stock gears. That's what I did.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Here's a tip for the guys that are installing the double chain and have trouble getting the pickup tube into the pump inlet because the pump is spaced out further after the double row chain install. You pull the pump front cover off and remove the DRIVING and DRIVEN gears. Slide the pump on the crank and put the pickup tube into the inlet hole. Having the gears out allows the pump body to wiggle around more so the pump pickup tube goes in much easier. Don't forget the little blue O ring on the pickup tube. Install the bolt in the pickup flange remembering to put some shop rags in the front of the oil pan to catch the bolt in case you drop it. Of course if you put the rags in there you won't drop the bolt, but if you forget to put a few rags in there I'm sure it will slip out of your fingers since all these parts are oil soaked. Once the bolt is tight you put the gears back into the pump body noting the DOT on the DRIVEN gear. The DOT faces OUT. Put some lite grease on the gears before you reinstall them so they don't have to spin up to speed dry. Put the cover plate back on the pump. Install the shims remembering to put a little anaerobic sealant on the triangular shaped shim. Put the sealant around the hole that lines up with the pump output port to prevent oil weeping. Lastly put in the 4 mounting bolts and your done. This makes getting the pickup tube in a whole lot easier and you don't have to BEND the pickup tube as some have mentioned they have had to do. I figured bending the tube wasn't such a good idea. That's when I thought of pulling the cover and taking the gears out to give myself the extra play I needed to help the tube slide right in.