Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few simple questions for first ls1 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default few simple questions for first ls1 build

about to start my first ls1 engine build and have a few newb like questions.

here's what i'm working with: 98 block, 853 ported heads, 233/239 TSP cam, stock crank, 78mm FAST intake and tb, stock rods, wiseco slugs (i know you guys are tempted now to tell me what I should put on the engine instead but this is what I've got so oh well lol), all machine work done by LME here in Houston (yay!)

i've watched a small block 350 chevy rebuild and noticed that they have a lot of plugs, water jacket and oil gallery plugs. on a 350 there's like 20 of them or so. i looked in the 98 camaro/firebird GM service manual engine section (page 6-423) and it only listed 7 plugs:

• coolant heater
• left front coolant drain plug
• right rear coolant drain plug
• left front oil gallery plug
• left rear oil gallery plug
• rear oil gallery plug (backside of block)
• front oil gallery plug

i just want to ask for peace of mind, seems like there would be more plugs on an engine, so is this correct or are there more plugs on the ls1?

also, i know that i cannot reuse my head bolts...are there any other bolts i cannot reuse? i know about using arp rod bolts, which i got, but what about main cap bolts, etc?

i also know that the ls1 system uses four oxygen sensors. if i use LT headers and an ORY, will I only be able to use two O2 sensors? how does this affect how the PCM reads?

thanks for any help/advice/pitfalls to watch out for, etc etc
Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you go with LT's you delete your rear O2's & your done. Pretty easy.

If your gonna go ARP on the mains, then stud that bitch. Thats the only way I'll go on mine. I would also suggest some aftermarket 6.125 rods instead of re-using the stockers, but to each their own.

I'd also pick up a Melling oil pump & LS2 timing set at minimum.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

cool thanks for the info, will definitely look into the arp studs on the mains. any idea on the engine plugs?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not 100% sure on all the plugs, but if thats what the manual said then it should be correct. If LME is doin all the MACHINE work they should take care of those plugs for you. And if it isn't standard for them to replace the engine plugs, I'm sure they would if you asked them to.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Launching!

you shoud check with LME, if they already did the machine work to the block and you put studs in the mains - line bore should be re-done.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by A_VAS
you shoud check with LME, if they already did the machine work to the block and you put studs in the mains - line bore should be re-done.
Yep. If your gonna use studs the machine shop need to install them prior to doin this. and if they aren't doin the assembly too, you need to get their exact torque specs & sequence they used on them also.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

block is just the block right now...so i haven't put a crank in or put the main caps on yet; i'll def check the torque specs.

man i need to get my torque angle tool too...