Sponsored by:

Oil Level and Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Level and Consumption

I'm using Mobile 1..

when I check the oil level..I found it less than before and sometimes I have to add oil... is that normal >? "there is no oil leak"

if it's not..where does the oil go ??

how often should I change the oil ? do I have to change the filter everytime ?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_beast
I'm using Mobile 1..

when I check the oil level..I found it less than before and sometimes I have to add oil... is that normal >? "there is no oil leak"

First how much are you having to add and how often? It is not uncommon to have to add a little every now and then, but if ur having to always add about a quart b/w oil changes there may be an issue. Also yes ALWAYS change the oil filter every time u change ur oil.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this all depends. Depends on driving habits, miles on engine, and what year. Every once and again I add a swig of oil. Are you getting oil smoke out of your exhaust? If not, and you are using a lot of oil, could be a PCV issue. Pull your TB off and see if there is a film of oil inside of the TB and inside of the intake. I am ready to replace my PVC valve and add a catch can.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Z28_98
Well this all depends. Depends on driving habits, miles on engine, and what year. Every once and again I add a swig of oil. Are you getting oil smoke out of your exhaust? If not, and you are using a lot of oil, could be a PCV issue. Pull your TB off and see if there is a film of oil inside of the TB and inside of the intake. I am ready to replace my PVC valve and add a catch can.
It DOES NOT DEPEND!!! If you are burning oil, then something is wrong. Whether it is something trivial that is not worth addressing at this time or whether it is an early warning sign depend on the amount of oil that you are consuming. To answer your question, these engines where not designed to burn oil.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landonew
It DOES NOT DEPEND!!! If you are burning oil, then something is wrong. Whether it is something trivial that is not worth addressing at this time or whether it is an early warning sign depend on the amount of oil that you are consuming. To answer your question, these engines where not designed to burn oil.
Not specifically...they do have piston slap, and my uncle, who has been a chevy mech for 20+ yrs, said that it is normal to burn up to 1.5 qt per 3K miles. I took mine in, which burns about that, and he said it is normal b/c of piston slap. To replace the rings now would be too much $$$, i'll wait until i do my H/C/I and rebuild the block then.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landonew

Isn't that more or less what I said? If he's not beating the **** out of it, than more then not, its not a major issue (PCV or leak). He never addressed either way if he's losing the oil out the exhaust or not. Its ovious something is wrong.....trying to pinpoint what the issue could be.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

That's "BS" If that sucker is using one and a half quarts of motor oil every 3000 miles & it ain't leakin any , you have or your gonna have problems with that engine . Something definitely is not right with your motor . Sounds like uncle might be old school . Losing that much oil & its not leaking its GOT to be smoking .
Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
That's "BS" If that sucker is using one and a half quarts of motor oil every 3000 miles & it ain't leakin any , you have or your gonna have problems with that engine . Something definitely is not right with your motor . Sounds like uncle might be old school . Losing that much oil & its not leaking its GOT to be smoking .
na it is perfectly fine. 1.5 qts might be an over estimate, that was also BEFORE i changed to 10w30. now that i run 10w30 i have to add about 1 qt ever 3K miles. I have no smoke or anyting.

He told me that GM said that was acceptable, he looked up the service buliten. Remember it is an M6, so with the piston slap, and the fact that i "hangout" above 3K RPM () a lot, it burns it. It is the piston rings that cause the "slap", they're slightly smaller then the bore of the cylinder and some oil gets by. The only way to fix it is w/ new rings. I'm going to wait on that until i rebuild my motor. This is all common knowledge.

Some people are on the light side and some ppl are on the heavy side. I guess i fall in the middle. I'm NOT sayin the OP doesn't have another issue; all I'm saying is SOME oil consumption IS normal with certain yr LS1's for some people. Piston slap is a known issue, some ppl have it and some don't; just like valve train noise

Last edited by Nightrydass; 05-05-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I'm using Mobile 1..

Aftermarket heads?

Mark
Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

[B][I]Oh well. Oil is pretty cheap . But my 02 has the cold piston slap until it warms up , but does not use a drop of oil between changes & I usually go about 5 or 6 thousand miles between them. But I'm useing GC oil .
By the way , piston slap is caused by the piston rocking in the cylinder bore , not by the rings . How bad does yours smoke ?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
[B][I]Oh well. Oil is pretty cheap . But my 02 has the cold piston slap until it warms up , but does not use a drop of oil between changes & I usually go about 5 or 6 thousand miles between them. But I'm useing GC oil .
By the way , piston slap is caused by the piston rocking in the cylinder bore , not by the rings . How bad does yours smoke ?
the pistons "rock" b/c the rings are slightly too small.

no smoke at all; nadda, zip, zilch
Old 05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

things I notice are ..ticking noise "which must be normal according to the forum",,and slightly white smoke when the RPM goes to the red line and comes back

car has stock heads.. mostly daily drive in hot weather

one Litre of Mobile 1 here costs 8$..and I think it'll be more expensive soon as everything is going high !! lol
Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my opinion but as a tech I inform my customers using synthetic that if they are starting to burn more than 1 quart of oil every 3K then they need to switch back to a regular conventional oil. And with every time I have done this the oil burning has stopped. And when I first purchased my TA with 45K on the clock I tried running Mobil 1, it went straight out the exhaust. In 2 weeks I used 2,5 qts of oil. I just switched to Castrol 10w30 and I dont even lose 1/4 qt between oil changes. Might be worth a try.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
Just my opinion but as a tech I inform my customers using synthetic that if they are starting to burn more than 1 quart of oil every 3K then they need to switch back to a regular conventional oil. And with every time I have done this the oil burning has stopped. And when I first purchased my TA with 45K on the clock I tried running Mobil 1, it went straight out the exhaust. In 2 weeks I used 2,5 qts of oil. I just switched to Castrol 10w30 and I dont even lose 1/4 qt between oil changes. Might be worth a try.
I hope no one thinks im tryin to start an argument...

I did the same thing; i tried using Penzoil Platium 5w30 and within a week my "low oil" light came on. I switched back to Penzoil High Mileage 10w30 and my car went back to "normal". What i mean is; my car is a M6; the "piston slap" and oil consumption seems to be more of an "issue" (according to my uncle) with car that are manual b/c the routinely see RPM's >3K. That causes the rings to "flutter" a lil bit and it burns more oil. I mean, seriously, who can honestly say the shift their M6 car routinely in the same manner as an A4; no one. lol

Now to the OP; I'm NOT saying this is deff your issue, all i'm saying is certain things that may seem like an issue on other cars are "normal" on ours. Like valve train noise for example. Obviously it goes with out sayin that you should ALWAYS take it to a professional (if you're not one yourself) and have them diag it as w/e issue.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

things I notice are ..ticking noise "which must be normal according to the forum",,and slightly white smoke when the RPM goes to the red line and comes back

car has stock heads.. mostly daily drive in hot weather

one Litre of Mobile 1 here costs 8$..and I think it'll be more expensive soon as everything is going high !! lol
I'd get that checked out; idk, i havent noticed any smoke wht-so-ever with my car. Then again im not looking behind me when i get on her. lol. I think that is something i would see in my rear view or at least smell which i don't *knock on wood*
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default oil usage

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
my car has 140k on it and I'm about 2 quarts low when i do an oil change at 3k, been using mobil 1 since it was new maybe I should try something like this and see if it stops using it (would even save me some $too),no smoker here , most of that 140k was hwy miles and its rarely ever beat on. I have been under the assumption that 1 qt every 1000 miles was normal , I even had the oil level light on once
Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car will usually eat 1 to 1.5 quarts of amsoil 5w40 over the course of 6000 miles. I usually add makeup oil half way though. Not bad for a 116K mile motor with heads and cam spinning to 6800+.

Eating a little oil is normal. Some will always be left in the hatch marks of the bores and will be burned off during normal combustion. If you have to start adding more than once an oil change, you might consider hunting down the problem.