Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS4 cam??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MS4 cam??

who has the MS4 cam??? How does it do for every day street driving??? power? Looking at one right now...
Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Im wanting the same cam but keep hearing its not a street cam, even though people do drive it on the street it just causes more problems than anything.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the MS4 is a big cam!! u can daily drive it im sure, but i think you should go with a smaller cam.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

well im getting it on a trade for some of my left over turbo parts...thats why im wondering if its daily drivable since my SS is my only ride for the moment.

also with the cam im getting chromoly push rods and a double roller timing chain. Im leaving my heads on the stock porting....

what valve springs/rocker arms do you guys recommend with this cam to be street able???
Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

yea i wouldnt do it for a daily driver
Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

alright thanks guys.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll want some gear in the rear if you go with that cam so you keep it in the power band that's if you run in the 1/4.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I dont daily drive my car but when i get the car out its in town a lot of stop and go traffic and until i get more out on the outer edge of town. I have absolutely no issues driving in town and im an m6 with a spec 3 clutch. Also the car only has a mail order tune from TSP. I dont see why you couldnt daily drive the car with the ms4 at all. Theres tons of threads with driveability of the ms4 as a daily driver and they have had no problems. I do have to say that you can see some surging at lower rpms, and it does pull HARD. Just personal opinion, if ur willing to sacrifice a little driveability go for it but i do think you might be happier with a smaller cam and getting more low end torque as well.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

you need all the supporting mods and a good tune to street drive this cam. but if your just putting the cam in there and nothing else is done to the car good luck becuase it will probably **** you off more than anything

Keith
Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

No following mods will obv. be done...

my car already has a stage 2 RAM clutch (only 2k on it) The SLP smooth lid/k&n filter, SLP catback exhaust (looking at long tubes and a 3" QTP Y pipe right now) and a ported/polished throttle body...and my car is a 01 so it already comes with the LS6 intake manifold and im a M6....stock rear end gear with 3.42's...I already put BMR LCA's on it also, and I have a adjustable Spohn torque arm to put on to help plant the rear end better....only have had the car for about 2 weeks.

I would obv. get a dyno tune along with the cam install by a local shop.

also, im not affraid of a little surging in stop and go traffic....I just dont wanna install this cam with the following mods and ruin the reliability of my motor...thats my concern...car only has 44k on it.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
No following mods will obv. be done...

my car already has a stage 2 RAM clutch (only 2k on it) The SLP smooth lid/k&n filter, SLP catback exhaust (looking at long tubes and a 3" QTP Y pipe right now) and a ported/polished throttle body...and my car is a 01 so it already comes with the LS6 intake manifold and im a M6....stock rear end gear with 3.42's...I already put BMR LCA's on it also, and I have a adjustable Spohn torque arm to put on to help plant the rear end better....only have had the car for about 2 weeks.

I would obv. get a dyno tune along with the cam install by a local shop.

also, im not affraid of a little surging in stop and go traffic....I just dont wanna install this cam with the following mods and ruin the reliability of my motor...thats my concern...car only has 44k on it.
Your still a long way with only those mods, your going to need to upgrade your valvetrain as well. PRC dual spring kit, hardended push rods, front gasket kit, possible oil pump and those 3.42's will **** you off I know they sure do me. I wouldnt recommend even getting the cam unless you have LT's to let it breath.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

how about a 9in or a 12bolt. 4.10 gears,LT headers, and then the valvetrain
Old 05-06-2008, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by miller456
Your still a long way with only those mods, your going to need to upgrade your valvetrain as well. PRC dual spring kit, hardended push rods, front gasket kit, possible oil pump and those 3.42's will **** you off I know they sure do me. I wouldnt recommend even getting the cam unless you have LT's to let it breath.
with the cam I was also getting a double roller timing chain and chromoly pushrods....just found some dual valve springs on ebay im looking at also.

way you guys are talking about it...i most likely wont be getting this cam.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You wont need a double roller chain, just an ls2 chain will be fine if u want to save a few bucks and you might be ok with ur stock oil pump. You will want to check into 4.10's and and the 10 bolt its like a lollipop u just never know when it will go. I have 92k on my car with a few hard launches and its holding up yet for me. Oh yea everytime u go out and sit at a light or go through a parking lot and ur car idles like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=WSWdty1GuGg you will get tons of looks. That vid isnt even with my cut out open and I love it, little kids with there parents are always staring and the dads usually ask me to throw a rev. So I do and then I see a couple of huge smiles on the dads and the kids faces .
Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by miller456
You wont need a double roller chain, just an ls2 chain will be fine if u want to save a few bucks and you might be ok with ur stock oil pump. You will want to check into 4.10's and and the 10 bolt its like a lollipop u just never know when it will go. I have 92k on my car with a few hard launches and its holding up yet for me. Oh yea everytime u go out and sit at a light or go through a parking lot and ur car idles like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=WSWdty1GuGg you will get tons of looks. That vid isnt even with my cut out open and I love it, little kids with there parents are always staring and the dads usually ask me to throw a rev. So I do and then I see a couple of huge smiles on the dads and the kids faces .
JW but did you not read my post???

Im getting all this cam stuff on a trade for some of my left over turbo parts....not spending a dime.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No actually I missed that one, I read all but that post, in that case you could sell the master roller and just get an ls2 chain for $35 and actually make some money on the deal. Your stock rockers are fine and beings your m6 the cam will be much easier to deal with on the street. Stock heads are ok w/o flycutting although your ptv clearance is a little tight b/c of the larger lift. If you go through with the deal let us know how it goes.

Last edited by miller456; 05-06-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

I would go with something a little smaller for a DD personally. I DD a 232/234 no problems, and it drives like stock. I'm not too familiar with the TSP cams, but I would imagine you'll have to spin that cam up pretty high to make power, especially with stock compression and heads. Since you said this is your DD and reliability is an issue, I'd go with something a little smaller. Some of these 23x/23x cams put down serious numbers, and pull hard as hell.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need PRC springs, stock rockers will work, longtubes, free flowing exhaust or a cutout, and minimum 4.10 gears. I have the cam in an auto and it gets annoying at times, but it is a very fun car overall. My stall is currently too small for this cam since I had the stall on when I had bolt ons. But, since you're an M6, it'll make life a lot easier. Depending on the tune, and what you can put up with, it can be a DD. I get a hint of surging every now and then at 35-40mph. I have 3.73 gears and the converter locks at 35 mph. I sit at about 1200 rpms or so at that speed and it's very tame most of the time. I also have a very good tuner that's familiar with this cam, lol
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

The MS4 cam would work just fine as a daily driver cam... I put it in my car last year and drove it almost daily. With a good tune it has street manners that are just fine. As long as you don't mind your car being a little wild sounding its great!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by patriotformula
The MS4 cam would work just fine as a daily driver cam... I put it in my car last year and drove it almost daily. With a good tune it has street manners that are just fine. As long as you don't mind your car being a little wild sounding its great!

thats one reason why i want it...I love the sound of a MS4 cam....

I will just put the double roller timing chain on instead of selling it and getting a ls2 one...i'd like to keep my stock rear end gears tho....

it wont bother me a bit if the car feels like stock down low, but pulls like a jet up top....I love that feeling...kinda like a boost feeling like my boosted V6 camaro gave me....miss it lol

also, im picking up a QTP Y pipe within the next few days that have 2 manual cutouts on them. The cam will not be installed untill I have my long tube's on and the Y pipe....then the cam will go in, then off to a dyno tune.

im looking at these valve springs...will they work??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...047088385&rd=1

Quick Reply: MS4 cam??