Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

found 10 mil socket behind flywheel???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found 10 mil socket behind flywheel???

i bought my car 2 years ago and since then have put ls6 stage 2 heads on, ms4 cam, full exhaust ect. anyway i got my car dynoed and only put 356 down to the wheels. my clutch has been acting pretty crappy with the petal sticking to the floor and slipping so i figured it was spent. ive had a new stage 3 clutch for a few months but not having a garage had to wait for better weather to put it in. so i put the car up on jack stands and pulled the tranny and noticed that i was leaking oil pretty bad. ive had a small oil leak in the rear for awhile but didnt want to pull the tranny til i was gonna put in the clutch. i got new rear seals to fix the oil leak. well when i pulled off the flywheel a friggin 10 mil socket fell out from behind it and i noticed the oilpan gasket was chewed up when i pulled the cover with the rear seal in it off. anyways im just wondering why the hell someone would put a socket in there cause from what i can see i dont know how a socket could just fall in there and be behind the flywheel??? seeing as how the oilpan gasket is screwed up i guess im gonna go get one and put it on. also any suggestions of any other maintanance i should do while i have all this apart cause i dont really wanna pull the tranny again for something dumb that i should take care of now. when i find my camera i can post up some pics of the socket and the chewed up gasket if anyone cares to see. thank in advance for any input
Old 05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks, its prob from some dumbass working on your car before you bought it.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

do the drill mod to help shifting and it would be a good idea to replace the throw out and pilot bearings at the same time.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats 10mm on the back of that engine anyway? Just the rear cover bolts right? If you replace the rear cover gasket and rear main be sure to but that barbell piece back in or you will not have any oil pressure lol.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Teching In

what little barbell piece? i didnt see one in there but then again i wasnt looking for one. i have a new slave cylinder that im putting in and im not sure but i think the throwout bearing is on the slave cylinder correct me if im wrong. what do you use to get the pilot bearing out? and should i replace the master cylinder or just do the drill mod cause i was gonna do the drill mod when i did the slave cylinder but wasnt sure if i should replace the master or just drill it.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Restricted User

The barbell piece is the oil galley plug and it's behind the rear cover.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the throwout bearing is on the slave cylinder. To get the little pilot bearing out you need a mini 3 jaw puller or something similar. Using the wet bread/paper method does NOT work. There is actually a freeze plug behind the pilot being that will actually push into your block before the pilot bearing comes out.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not to be a dumbass, but whats the drill mod?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Launching!

ive seen this. someone was taking off the pan and lost the socket through the two rear bolt hole that are up through the little tunnel between the pan and tranny.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Z28_98
Not to be a dumbass, but whats the drill mod?
The drill mod is when you remove the clutch master cylinder from the car and pushing out the small roll pin that holds the braided line to it and using a 1/8 drill bit to drill out the restriction in the line from the factory . Go to installuniversity.com for the write up on it .
Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Restricted User

Very worthwhile. It would be a shame not to do it while you're there. It's not difficult.