Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...

How many people/shops use "dyno tricks" or other methods to produce a given dyno number? It seems that myself and others have been disappointed by our dyno numbers, and I was wondering how other cars with similar or lesser mods can always out dyno more heavily modded cars. Maybe my numbers and everyone elses numbers are right, and the few "kings of the dyno" type numbers are not obtainable. My last dyno (410 & 374) was on 28" radials, through full exhaust (no cutout), through stock flywhel and D/S, and through a 12 bolt with 4.30s. Wonder what my car would have dynoed through a 10 bolt, open headers, 26" radials inflated to 50psi, etc. 440-450 (like some others). I know that on the interent, its easy to lie and exaggerate, as well as "creative truth telling" . Seriously, though, the one thing I learned is that, even though there is no real "reward", people will do almost anything to be a "dyno king" or a "stock internals king" (can you say ported heads, LS6 cam, hidden NOS ). What percentage of the "My car dynod XXXX with the following mods" threads are completely truthful ? Just wondering....

DISCLAIMER: This thread is not directed at any person/shop/tuner in particular. I am posting this to see if everyone thinks the full truth is always being told. Shawn
Old 08-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulatio

Now you know better than to start a thread like this. Of course the MAJORITY of the #'s are fabbed.. I have seen people go to another state and dyno their car and come back to Florida and dyno 20 to 30rwhp lower. Two different dynojets.. So many factors to influence a dyno sheet including a tuner. I have said many times that there should be a NEUTRAL dyno somewhere that all vendors could go dyno their test cars for all the world to compare the #'s on ONE dyno, but even I know this is not feasible. A lot of people need to realize that dyno #'s are just that.. Numbers.. I use my dyno to know when to optimize my shift points. I do not know how many cars that dyno higher than me that have fallen victim to my SS on the street from a 0 to 120mph sprint. Some people need to ask themselves a simple question. Do they want to purchase a package that is going to look fast on paper or BE FAST on the street or at the track?
Old 08-09-2003, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

440-450 (like some others)

Probably not, maybe 415-420rwhp. Some cars just make a lot more power than others, I don't know why, but I know its true.

Old 08-09-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

If something doesn't improve, it'll probably be going back to stock internals. Maybe another 69 Camaro is in the works......
Old 08-09-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

My dyno is faster than your dyno. Who cares?? Don't get hung up on dyno #s. Take it to the track.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

spanky, if you look at the cars that make the good numbers then you look at the cars that dont, you will come up with the same thing I come up with. look at all gtp dyno's. I dont think everyone with gtp's that get great dyno's from all over the u.s. on different dyno's are doing dyno tricks. I think there heads perform and make the power.
then you look at the lower dyno's from all over the u.s. on different dyno's and look what heads they have on the car. look at the other threads in todays section, and you will come to a conclusion. its all in the heads. I said it to you in one of your other threads take your heads off, get them flowed by an independent shop like thunder racing, then you will see why your car and others with low dyno's dont make good power.

maybe instead of putting your car back to stock get a set of gtp's and make the power you want, then you will see that its not about dyno tricks
Old 08-09-2003, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't understand why people get hung up on my car out ran this car that supposedly dynoed higher then mine.

FACT NO 1:
ACCELERATION EQUALS FORCE TIMES MASS. The lighter car will always run faster then the heavier car with the same power. Ergo, a lighter car with less power will keep up or beat a car that is heavier with slightly more power. Also, the same car in six different atmospheric conditions will make six different sets of dyno numbers. Third, I don't believe in freak cars. I believe in light weight formulas and z28s running faster then WS6s, Firehawks, SSs stock for stock. Have you ever seen a freak convertible???

FACT 2:
Fast cars are not determined by peak power unless equiped with 4.88+ gears. The car must be setup to be within its fat part of the powerband for as long as possible. Also known as residence time according to the great John Lingenfelter.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

spanky, if you look at the cars that make the good numbers then you look at the cars that dont, you will come up with the same thing I come up with. look at all gtp dyno's. I dont think everyone with gtp's that get great dyno's from all over the u.s. on different dyno's are doing dyno tricks. I think there heads perform and make the power.

Once an owner of a GTP headed car that made 400rwhp told me he raced another GTP headed car that dyno'd 440rwhp. With almost identical 60fts, 1/8's the difference in the ET was .01 seconds. Not exactly 40rwhp worth of difference in ET in that case. Dyno is a wonderful tool but it's not the be all end all.

There are also TEA cars that do very well, it just seems you want to bash and bash away like a true hater. What's the agenda? Trying to be a for GTP or Absolute? Hoping they'll cut $100 off of your heads because your their pit bull that's bashing away at TEA?
Old 08-09-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm on the same page as Vince and have seen locally several cars that dyno considerably lower than what their counterparts on the web do. I guess its business just like in any company where the top stat would win. Some cars are stronger but to see several dyno lower with the same mods is kind of weird.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

When my car was a bolt on car, I jacked the air pressure up to 50 lbs one time but it didn't help in my case because the car pulled it's 323rwhp the same as when the tires were at 35 lbs.

As for dyno games...didn't play any with my H & C numbers.

I'll bet if I pulled air filter out or lifted the lid off the lower air box and did a short belt, and slipped the Mufflex Y off of the headers, I could have weaseled out a ~430rwhp to 435rwhp dyno with my 224 cam and TEA heads.

Instead I have 408 in street trim thru dual/dual and 418rwhp with the cutout open.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

then you look at the lower dyno's from all over the u.s. on different dyno's and look what heads they have on the car. look at the other threads in todays section, and you will come to a conclusion. its all in the heads. I said it to you in one of your other threads take your heads off, get them flowed by an independent shop like thunder racing, then you will see why your car and others with low dyno's dont make good power.

maybe instead of putting your car back to stock get a set of gtp's and make the power you want, then you will see that its not about dyno tricks
Wow man I can't believe the **** your talking. Do you like to race dynos for a living?

TEA has some pretty strong cars out there, a lot in the 11's.

I dunno are you trying to justify to yourself the extra price you paid for GTP's? Is that why you bash just about everybody elses heads on this forum?

Old 08-10-2003, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

I don't understand why people get hung up on my car out ran this car that supposedly dynoed higher then mine.

FACT NO 1:
ACCELERATION EQUALS FORCE TIMES MASS. The lighter car will always run faster then the heavier car with the same power. Ergo, a lighter car with less power will keep up or beat a car that is heavier with slightly more power. Also, the same car in six different atmospheric conditions will make six different sets of dyno numbers. Third, I don't believe in freak cars. I believe in light weight formulas and z28s running faster then WS6s, Firehawks, SSs stock for stock. Have you ever seen a freak convertible???
I agree with you completely, but just to let you know.... its FORCE = MASS x ACCELERATION

<---Science Major
Old 08-10-2003, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have found a good way to dyno is around other ls1's. I dynod with 3 2002 ls1's, one just had an exhaust and he dynoed 20 rwhp less, then one dynoed 3 more that was a 2002 SS with center exhaust, slp lid, auburn diff. and so on. It gives you a better look on where you are.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...

I suspect that there is far less variance in GM's manufacturing of engines and cars than there is the manufacturing and installation of a dyno. I don't know that to be true, but I would be willing to bet some $$$ on it.

Consequently, a dyno is useful as a tuning tool ONLY. There is no way mathematically to draw conclusions regarding the relative power of multiple cars measured on multiple dynos.

If one uses a dyno to help tune one's ride, it makes sense to me. Otherwise, it is an experiment in mental masturbation.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My dyno is faster than your dyno. Who cares?? Don't get hung up on dyno #s. Take it to the track.
Couldn't agree more

Spanky you have a higher dyno # than me at the same place.I know my car is faster. I don't know why your hung up on this,big deal.

Here's my info 11.22@119 1.50 60' 400HP Dyno and Tune. 3600 Race weight.
Do I care. Nope!
Old 08-10-2003, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

BTW - One dyno owner/operator said he could vary the rwhp on his Corvette by ~15rwhp based on how he strapped the car down. He said if he really strapped it down too tight it could cost a good bit of power. Some variance in that between operators.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Intentional or unintentional Dynojets vary from machine to machine by about 10-15HP. When you throw intentional manipulation into the mix they vary by 25-35 HP. Take it all as a grain of salt.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is getting interesting.. The sole purpose is to go fast. Dyno #'s are just a tool to use to see if your mods are working. Each car is going to react differently to the mod. I agree weight is a factor when racing. My car is over 3700lbs and I constantly have to run my car harder to beat lighter cars.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Default Re: Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...

Read my sig and now a 224/224 cam is a SMALL setup and I still put down 430 419
Old 08-10-2003, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

This is getting interesting.. The sole purpose is to go fast. Dyno #'s are just a tool to use to see if your mods are working.
Vince you are exactly right...but anything "men" can measure they are going to "compete" with..

Quick Reply: Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...