Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam E.O. emissions legality

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam E.O. emissions legality

Anybody know of any LS1 camshafts that carry a CARB E.O.?

I understand that many small cams will still pass through the "sniffer," but I am trying to put something together that's 100% legal in CA, technicalities and all.

On a related note, does anyone have a clue whether swapping to a different factory cam (LS6, etc.) might be acceptable under the E.O. system?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by WernerGMHTP; 05-23-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Restricted User

I've seen numerous threads where californians have dropped in TR224 cams and passed the sniffer w/ cats and a tune.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Let me reiterate that my inquiry does not concern passing the sniffer, it has to do with the technicalities of the E.O. system.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

I cant help ya there, but......

I love your tech articles and I am heading over to cartechbooks to grab a copy of your book.

You guys keep up the great work!!

R/

Frat
Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Dude...

I dont know whats up with that website...but some guy named Charled Gugino's info keeps popping up.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WernerGMHTP
Let me reiterate that my inquiry does not concern passing the sniffer, it has to do with the technicalities of the E.O. system.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Well if you converted your LS1 to a LS6 that would be legal 4 sure. you would have to go to a refree center so they could give you a BAR Label. also all the emission componets would have to stay intact. as long as you keep that and put the LS6 cam with LS6 heads you should be fine. Just let them know that you swap motors instead of doing the conversion. they might be "iffy" cuz alot of smog techs out here arent that knowlegable. Like they don't know that LS6 and LS1 are basically almost the same block. they still keep the same Liters 5.7L. so yeah that would be great. Any discounts on your books.. I have two of them and I like them great info.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In CA if it wasnt a option avaliable in that year of car then the ref wont pass it. You could probabally talk them into giving you a sticker with the ls6 cam and heads but there is no way that you would ever get away with a aftermarket cam through the ref
Old 05-24-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

yeah as far as i know now cam is CARB approved. but uhh they wont be able to tell if theres a cam or not in there if u get a small to medium size cam that doesnt lope and that is properly tuned. they would think its stock. but other then that ur best bet might be the LS6 cam, as its a GM OEM part.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I offer a cam package that would be an excellent idea in this area.
My Edelbrock "no tune " cam package.
Beginner enthusiast cam swap package!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDELBROCK LSX 430 HP cam - no tune required

Designed for a "no tuning required" camshaft upgrade in 1997 and later LS1/LS6/LS2 based GM engines, the Edelbrock RPM 430HP camshaft delivers 433 HP and 421 Ft/Lbs. of Torque without touching your factory tune. This combination of high lift, low duration and wide lobe separation delivers the performance you want while maintaining great low speed idle and drivability in automatic or manual .
573" I / .580" E 207° I / 220° 118° [Performance (as tested on 5.7L 2001 LS6 engine): 433.6 HP @ 6000 RPM / 421.9 Ft/Lbs of Torque @
transmission cars
TO go with it: PAC 1218 beehive springs

PAC is the original manufacturer for the Comp 918s until CC decided to go to another manufacturer (and we have seen problems since). These are beehive springs and drop right into the LS1 heads.

The 1218s (CC918 equiv) for $145 with the package. This spring is good to .600 lift

I also offer a cam swap tool rental, if you purchase the cam and spring package, you can use them for free! You pay shipping and deposit.

Honestly this is a great beginner package deal for someone. If you haven’t done a cam install before and want to get your hands dirty this is the way to go.

I provide the cam install tools and am available for what ever help you might need. pm's telephone I'll walk you through it.

You can use your stock retainers and there is no real reason not to with this cam. The PAC springs are a drop in and the tool I provide is the best there is for doing the job. Crane dual spring tool.

Its not a cam your spinning past stock rpms so the oil pump concerns are pretty much alleviated. Some models were prone to failure and its never a bad idea to replace a high mileage pump from those year cars..

IMO this is about as simple a do it yourselfer for the beginner as there can be. Perfect for beginner enthusiasts who want to get their hands dirty and learn with minimal risk and expense.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fratsit
Dude...

I dont know whats up with that website...but some guy named Charled Gugino's info keeps popping up.
Thank you for the compliments! Where are you seeing "Charled Gugino"? If you just go to cartechbooks you'll see the book right on the home page, just under "coming soon."

Last edited by GEARHED; 05-25-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WARP211
Well if you converted your LS1 to a LS6 that would be legal 4 sure. you would have to go to a refree center so they could give you a BAR Label. also all the emission componets would have to stay intact. as long as you keep that and put the LS6 cam with LS6 heads you should be fine. Just let them know that you swap motors instead of doing the conversion. they might be "iffy" cuz alot of smog techs out here arent that knowlegable. Like they don't know that LS6 and LS1 are basically almost the same block. they still keep the same Liters 5.7L. so yeah that would be great. Any discounts on your books.. I have two of them and I like them great info.
Gotcha... what exactly is a "BAR" label, then?

I assume you mean when you have "two of my books" you are just saying CarTech books in general? Because this is actually my first book, and it won't start shipping for another week or so!!! As to discounts, I'm sure if you shop around a bit online there may be some good prices (B&N, Amazon, etc.), though the publisher prefers that people buy direct.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you for the compliments! Where are you seeing "Charled Gugino"? If you just go to cartechbooks you'll see the book right on the home page, just under "coming soon."
When I added it to my Cart and went to check out...his name, address, phone number, email, ect all showed. It also put 8 copies of the book in the cart. Did that 2 times. I used the link that was in your signature.

I'll try again.

EDIT: Its still doing it. At least for me. I want your book, but I am gonna get it from Barnes and Noble, act. No way am I gonna order from the Cartech site and risk that happening to me.

2nd EDIT: Just pre-ordered at Barnes & Noble. Got an extra 5% off. No offense to Cartech.

Thanks Chris !! ..... sorry for the hijack....

R/

Frat

Last edited by Fratsit; 05-25-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fratsit
When I added it to my Cart and went to check out...his name, address, phone number, email, ect all showed. It also put 8 copies of the book in the cart. Did that 2 times. I used the link that was in your signature.

I'll try again.

EDIT: Its still doing it. At least for me. I want your book, but I am gonna get it from Barnes and Noble, act. No way am I gonna order from the Cartech site and risk that happening to me.

2nd EDIT: Just pre-ordered at Barnes & Noble. Got an extra 5% off. No offense to Cartech.

Thanks Chris !! ..... sorry for the hijack....

R/

Frat
No, THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention! I just tried it out myself, and you are right - head to checkout, and there's Charles Gugino! Bizarre - I just emailed the publisher and they should have it all fixed up by Tuesday. No prob on heading elsewhere - I am sure your personal info would have been safe regardless, but yeah, I can understand why you'd find it a bit odd.

Hope you enjoy the book. I'll probably set up a comments thread in a few weeks for feedback and the like.

(BTW, for anyone else looking to order direct from CarTech in the interim, you can always call 1-800-551-4754.)
Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

No, THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention! I just tried it out myself, and you are right - head to checkout, and there's Charles Gugino! Bizarre - I just emailed the publisher and they should have it all fixed up by Tuesday. No prob on heading elsewhere - I am sure your personal info would have been safe regardless, but yeah, I can understand why you'd find it a bit odd.

Hope you enjoy the book. I'll probably set up a comments thread in a few weeks for feedback and the like.

(BTW, for anyone else looking to order direct from CarTech in the interim, you can always call 1-800-551-4754.)

Just wanted to let you (and everyone) know that the book ordering problem from cartechbooks.com is now fixed, no more Charles Gugino!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Gotcha... what exactly is a "BAR" label, then?

I assume you mean when you have "two of my books" you are just saying CarTech books in general? Because this is actually my first book, and it won't start shipping for another week or so!!! As to discounts, I'm sure if you shop around a bit online there may be some good prices (B&N, Amazon, etc.), though the publisher prefers that people buy direct.
A Bar Label is something that is put on the car to know that the modification you did is accepted in california and that its total lega..!! Only a Referee can give you a bar label. You can probably find one at any community college. If I was you I would just do the Top End swap and just get it smog when the time comes. Most smog techs won't kno the difference. Just my .02 cents.. And you can save time and money..
Old 03-05-2009, 08:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody know of any LS1 camshafts that carry a CARB E.O.?

I understand that many small cams will still pass through the "sniffer," but I am trying to put something together that's 100% legal in CA, technicalities and all.

On a related note, does anyone have a clue whether swapping to a different factory cam (LS6, etc.) might be acceptable under the E.O. system?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

You can search the EO database by device type
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Its a short list and there is nothing LS related.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevied916
In CA if it wasnt a option avaliable in that year of car then the ref wont pass it. You could probabally talk them into giving you a sticker with the ls6 cam and heads but there is no way that you would ever get away with a aftermarket cam through the ref

I thought the engine swap just had to be of the same year or newer?

I know of a FD RX7 with an LS1 transplant that got the ref sticker and I'm sure it wasn't an available option back then,

To the OP, I belive the AFR 205's have an EO #, build a forged short block thow some AFR's on it, then put a smog legal blower
Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Chris,

As Katech psoted, but also to my knowledge there are no CARB EO cams available for LS-series engines. I had talked to Andrew Shear (Automedia2000) about this exact project a couple of years ago, and talking with ARB (here in Diamond Bar) the only items that were legal were blowers (ATI or Vortech) and Tony's (AFR) heads. We deal with CARB a lot here at work, hit me up if you want more insight.

glara@turboneticsinc.com

Everyone else,

There is a difference between passing the tailpie with off the shelf parts and actually passing emissions with components. Making good power and being emissions compliant is very hard to do, and you have to know what you are doing rather then just slap parts on an engine.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spellbound

I know of a FD RX7 with an LS1 transplant that got the ref sticker and I'm sure it wasn't an available option back then,

To the OP, I belive the AFR 205's have an EO #, build a forged short block thow some AFR's on it, then put a smog legal blower

Engine swapping is against the law and CARB will not issue an EO for it. There are also EPA laws prohibiting it. Engine swapping is defined as changing the engine block part number.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Spellbound

Yes, to apply for an emission tag. What he is confusing with this is for upgrade status. For example if you put a 350 SBC in a 305 SBC equipped 3rd gen, then you do not need the sticker. If you put an LS6 in your 4th gen, you need a sticker from the ref. BUT you need to put the entire engine with cats and the calibration file from a corvette as well. The ref will check it.

As for building a forged short block, the internals will need to be CARB EO# certified, as you can not legally change the compression ratio of an engine. The parts must be OE replacement components.

Quick Reply: Cam E.O. emissions legality