Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Notice This?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Else Notice This?

I installed my cam last weekend (Torquer v.3). It went pretty smoothly considering it was my first cam swap. That is, until I got down to the spring swap, and it was definitely a pain. It was IMPOSSIBLE to do alone. However, to the point of the post, I have a TD setup with longtubes and before my cam it really wasnt so loud. With the cam now though, its EXTREMELY loud. Does a cam amplify the exhaust notes more than before? That would make sense to me, but I was just wondering. Input on this?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, dont know why, maybe just more power means more sound
Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Higher lift makes for a louder exhaust tone.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

The engine is basically an air pump, the cam changes your valve events so that the air pump (metaphorically the engine not literally the AIR system) moves more air. More air means more noise... Anytime you move more air your car will get louder, cam, heads, long tubes, cat back, cat delete, larger cubes, etc.

This of course is a simplification, but basically the larger cam makes more power by allowing the engine to breath differently and open it up.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

No doubt--it's lots louder than before. The higher performance cam keeps the valves open longer allowing more noise to escape the combustion chambers.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a cam very similar to the V3 and it definitely made the car louder. I'm running LT's and 3"duals dumped with no cats. It's no sleeper, that's for sure.

I did my cam install about a month ago and I thought the valve springs were easy. I was using the Crane cams tool that can do 2 at a time so maybe that's why it was easy. The hardest part for me was getting the new UD pulley on. That SOB fought me the whole way.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

i had the same experience and quickly replaced my true duals with a hooker exhaust system...and its still extremely loud
Old 05-24-2008, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
I have a cam very similar to the V3 and it definitely made the car louder. I'm running LT's and 3"duals dumped with no cats. It's no sleeper, that's for sure.

I did my cam install about a month ago and I thought the valve springs were easy. I was using the Crane cams tool that can do 2 at a time so maybe that's why it was easy. The hardest part for me was getting the new UD pulley on. That SOB fought me the whole way.
I used the MORE tool from TR. One person has to operate it, and the other has to do the springs. Not necessarily on the front, but on the back. Many extensions, a U-joint, and long ratchet are necessary .

Back to the sound though, part of me likes it, because of the compliments and stares at stoplights, but the other part of me doesnt. Kinda sounds like a old SBC truck should. lol. Needless to say, sleeper attack is no longer an option
Old 05-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Restricted User

I love the way my car sounds with my cam. I have LT's ORY and eCutout. It's loud as **** when the cutout's open but when I close it and the exhaust goes through the magnaflow it's REALLY quiet. I have the best of both worlds!
Old 05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Ah, come on man changing valvesprings is soooo much fun! Especially if you use that awesome "around the head" grip type tool that you have to squeeze the handle to get the springs off! Gosh I wish I could do that every day lol
Old 05-24-2008, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

I know what you mean about the noise. I have tsp duals/no cats and went from an f13 cam only to an ms4 with 59cc heads. I like it but I get alot of strange looks from the neighbors. It doesn't help that i'm 41 years old and not a kid.