Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coming out the the #7 exhaust port....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil coming out the the #7 exhaust port....

Well heres what I was dealing with. My 99 SS was running VERY poorly obviously down a cylinder or 2. It is also blowing oil with some very fine aluminum shavings out the driver side exhaust (true duals). Well yesterday a friend and I did a cranking compression test and found that #7 was only pumping 95lbs. I assumed a broken ring land or a bent valve. I was expecting some serious damage. I pulled the valve cover and surprisingly found a broken rocker arm bolt. That led me to belive that the valve had smacked the piston therefor driving the valve up and breaking the rocker arm bolt. After the compression test we pulled the intake manifold to find that there was no red fuel residue from the race gas in the #7 intake port. What would cause that? Could a bent valve cause that or should I make sure the #7 injector is even working? Last night I removed the head and to my surprise there is no major damage. There really isnt any sign of piston to valve contact. Im very confused. I didnt build the motor so Im not sure what the ring gaps are so Im going to go ahead and tear the motor down completely and inspect the rings. But for right now Im very confused. As bad as the car was running and as much oil that was making it out the exhaust I was expecting MUCH more damage. Hell I was just expecting damage. Im not finding much.... Here are a few pictures so far.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone have any suggestions? I also looked at the #7 intake port in the intake manifold and found no fuel residue on the injector even. Would a dead injector prevent the rings from seating in this cylinder and causeing the oil to blow by the rings? The engine has less than 5000 miles on it. Im just trying to figure out what might have happend here. Thanks fellas.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Launching!

free bump you have my opinion all ready....
Old 05-26-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume it was the intake valve bolt that was broken. If it can't pull air in, it won't pump up compression - a leak down is a better test for this instance. Whatever was coming out the exhaust it was not aluminum from the engine - are you running cats? Neither the valve nor the pistons show any sign of contact so although your guess was valid, it looks like the bolt just broke unless you have coil bind on the springs.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the trunion shaft that broke judging from the photo of the HS rockers. If the rocker bolts where in tact the rockers were then allow to swivel out of position over the pushrods and valve stem. The is probably why you didn't find the damage you expected. I'd bet the underside of your rocker cover is beaten up pretty good where the pushrod was hammering it.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

I should have took a better pic. The #7 intake rocker bolt broke from the contact with the piston. The #7 intake valve along with the #1 intake valve are both bent. There is a very light spot on the #7 piston where you can see PTV contact but it didnt show up very well in the pics.

Quick Reply: Oil coming out the the #7 exhaust port....