Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HORRIBLE KNOCK!!! Car won't Idle, backfire, etc.. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HORRIBLE KNOCK!!! Car won't Idle, backfire, etc.. need help!

Well I haven't torn apart the top end yet but I'm guessing it's a problem in the valvetrain but just would like to get opinions before I tear it all apart. The biggest problem is I'm home on leave and don't want to leave the car to fly back but I don't have a lot of time.

The car ran great all the way back (1000 mile trip) but I have been running it pretty hard lately playing with my friend and his car and showing off some. My friend just got married yesterday and today I was in a hurry trying to pick him up from the hotel and take him to the airport and take the tuxedos back. I stayed the night at his parents and on my way home this morning to shower and change the car ran fine halfway, but then started having a tiny lurch to it at about 60 MPH and 2,000RPM. When I got to the stop sign I put it in neutral (M6) and it wanted to die. I knew something was up but thought it was small enough to press on cuz I was so busy. When I finally left home I had an SES light but didn't have time to check it out. on the way to pick them up though the car made some ticking noises and died within seconds. I tempted to start it back up and started but wouldn't go more then 200RPM with a bad vibration and some engine noise. My dad brought my laptop and I had a MAP code, a MAF low freq code, and a high idle code. I cleared them out, found a blown fuse for the MAF and replaced it, tried to restart again and the same thing, the engine ran at 200 RPM with some bad metal to metal ticking again. I checked the codes again and had only one, but the same maf low freq P0102. My friend was swearing it's a bad MAF so I bought a brand new one and when I first replaced it it revved up to 1200 then back to 200 with a bad tick tick and knocking, and then a backfire which killed the engine. Oh and the MAF fuse hasn't blown again yet. So I'm guessing it's something wrong in the valvetrain, the tow truck driver thinks it's in the bottom end, so what do ya'all think?

I'm figuring just tear apart the top end and hoping it's just a bent rod? But if I don't find anything wrong I guess I'll have to pull the heads and check the lifters next? If those are good I've gotta check the bottom end? I'm afraid I'm missing something simple but I don't have my books with me I forgot them in NJ. I really hope it's something small I can get done but I only have a week to do all this, I'm preparing myself for the worst but I wasn't wanting a new engine just yet, don't have the cash for it. I'm gonna have to leave it here at my parents for a couple years til I can afford a new LS2 hehe. then I just gotta take leave and get it all torn apart and installed. But I need opinions... let me have it!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Regular

It could have been the MAF, but you replaced it. The ticking and knocking part concerns me. What year is your LS1 or LS family motor? The knocking makes me think it might have a spun bearing since you have been beating on it, but the ticking is usually more valvetrain related which may be a bent valve, damaged lifter, or pushrod. Depending on your year, maybe the oil pump finally went out. As far as the backfire, check your plugs out for how things have been going inside your combustion chamber.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ticking = typically valvetrain
clanking = typically rod knock/spun bearing
Old 05-26-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

How was the oil and oil pressure while all of this happening?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

yeah it was more of a ticking not a clanking or banging. It's a 98 LS1, stock bottom end. chromolly pushrods, 918 springs, rollmaster double roller timing chain, slp ported oil pump, SI007 reverse split cam 222/224 .588/.588 113 (If I remember right I'll have to look it up). Engine has about 85,000mi on it and all these parts were put in at about 70,000mi. oil pressure was great the entire time at just above the 40 mark and every time I tried to start it it popped up quickly. I change the oil every 3,000 miles, just changed it 1,000 miles ago and it wasn't dark or worn out. Water temp was about 170-180 since I have the 160 t-stat.

I'm kind of hoping it's only a bent rod and no other problems, but if I have a bent rod should I pull the heads off and check the valves and pistons as well? If it's not the rod I was thinking it's a lifter, maybe even a broken spring I've heard these springs have a tendancy to shatter? but I will pull the plugs out and see what they look like, good idea thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

with what you just stated... my vote goes to lifter...
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

better then a spun bearing but I don't feel like pulling those heads off lol. How do you tell if a lifter is bad when you get them out?
Old 05-26-2008, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Basically a process of elimination start with the components under the covers. Rockers,pushrods,springs. When you pull the covers grab all the rockers and try to move them around if you find one real sloppy you may not need to go onto the other side. If all checks out then the heads may need to come off. I recently had a bad Comp R lifter that the retaining clip came out of. Lucky for me the pushrod held the lifter's cup in place.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

well I got the covers cleaned off and plugs pulled so far. #8 was wet with fuel, the others were dry and looked all pretty normal but have carbon buildup they need changed. #3 though was brown instead of black like the others but I'm guessing the backfire came from #8. it probably had no spark and detonated? Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

found my problem, just don't know how deep it goes. The spring on #5 shattered. I included some photos. Every other rocker, spring, etc. looks and feels good, but with this spring shattered I'm guessing I need to pull the head to check the valve and piston. and it seems like that lifter collapsed also which might have been the root problem, and if I stopped to check things out instead of being in a rush I might have prevented the spring problem and saved my valve. **** lol. oh well gives me an excuse for new heads right. anyways yeah I gotta pull it off and keep checking. the pushrod is deep inside the head so I'm guessing the lifter is gone. If so I'm guessing I need to pull the engine and clean out the bottom end make sure it's all good? Or if the lifter is all there you think I'm good replacing the lifters and everything up top I need? I'll start with the head for now and see how deep it goes I guess. Hopefully it stops there and I don't need a new cam or piston. Be careful with those 918's!!!!! I actually installed them at 79,100mi and now have about 84,000 on the odometer. WOW. Maybe I can get comp cams to pay for this haha.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

ouch that sux bro... good luck getting any manufacturer to cover anything

besides AFR that is... they cover their stuff

hopefully the damage isn't too bad... but from what you said with the pushrod sitting all the way down there, i'm guessing your probably in for a good amount of damage

if the lifter is chewed up, along with the spring pieces, and retainter... all that metal going down there can't be good... make sure and take additional pictures... and GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

The good news is the valve is stiil there. Replace the spring and do a leak down to see if the valve seals. Try to fish the pushrod out with a magnet, it probably popped off becaus there was no spring to keep it seated on the lifter. I wouldn't assume you have a bad lifter. If you can get the pushrod out and get a spring on there you can turn it over by hand and see what you have.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck with comp if you have a valid case they will work with you.They worked with me when i had that same problem.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DaddySS
The good news is the valve is stiil there. Replace the spring and do a leak down to see if the valve seals. Try to fish the pushrod out with a magnet, it probably popped off becaus there was no spring to keep it seated on the lifter. I wouldn't assume you have a bad lifter. If you can get the pushrod out and get a spring on there you can turn it over by hand and see what you have.
can't do that! lol. the valve is stuck! halfway through the travel. guessing it was bent. I looked down the intake runner and I can see the valve seal coming out towards the cylinder, and I put a magnet pen into the pushrod hole and can pull pieces of lifter out lol. I may have to pull the cam depending how bad that lifter is when I get to it. I don't know how you guys get these heads off though damn!!! Those bolts are tight as ****! I'm having trouble with my exhaust too so it may be a bit before I get the head off
Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Edit: Nevermind.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

finally got the head pulled off and the damage wasn't too bad. I'm a little nervous about the piston but it doesn't really look bad at all. I don't know what kind of tolerances it has though if any so if anyone knows that would help me out a LOT! Cuz I'm planning to just smooth it out with my dremel and carry on. It seems about .005" deep maybe. I didn't bring my micrometer home with me though. But the valve is bent sideways so I'm just going to order new heads instead of rebuilding these. And the lifter cup is tore up but everything else seems fine with it. The retaining clip is missing so I've gotta drop the oil pan and find it, need to anyways to clean it all out whatever fell down there. And all the rockers have some play in them, which may be normal, but the #5 intake that was messed up is pretty excessive so new rockers too. so I'm looking a little over 3,000 depending what kind of deal I can get on heads. I'm not upset about it lol. Shouldn't be spending that much right now but I have a really good excuse to now!! hehe. Anyways here's some more pics of the carnage I found. If someone has some info on the piston I'd appreciate it, but I'll be talking to a shop tomorrow morning to make sure it's ok. Who's a good place to talk to about it and order all these parts I need, I need them overnighted as well or else my car will be sitting here for a year or two til I can get back to IL lol. I appreciate everyone's help!! Thanks a million!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

I just thank god the valve got bent so soon and got stuck a little open without doing too much damage to the piston!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

sorry about you luck man i know how you feel im just finishing up my motor rebuild from a ticking noise...problem is i never found out what was causing the ticking in my car lol
Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll be fine, just clean it up a little.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Resident

good news! I found the lifter retaining clip in the lifter cup... both pieces of it lol. so I've got all the pieces and don't have a need to drop the oil pan new heads and yella terras here I come haha. I love breaking parts, then I get new ones!

Quick Reply: HORRIBLE KNOCK!!! Car won't Idle, backfire, etc.. need help!