Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken headbolt deep inside the block

Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken headbolt deep inside the block

having a ton of trouble with the car. had to get new heads so I'm pulling them off and all is well, the bolts are tight as **** but going ok. Then all of a sudden snap. It's the long big bolt on the exhaust side of the #6 cylinder. It was maybe 1/4-1/2" out when it snapped, and only about an inch of it snapped off inside the block, but it's deep in there! Any ideas? I'm thinking I gotta pull the engine and fly back to jersey when my leave is up. Try to fix it when I take leave again. This ******* sucks ***! lol
Old 05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

that sucks...it would be really hard to get a drill in there with the engine in the car...
good luck
Old 05-27-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

get some spray lube thats for rusted/stuck parts spray in hole let sit. Get small steel piping or tubing that fits in head bolt hole let it stick up at least a inch from block deck. find a left hand drill bit that fits inside of the tubing inside of bolt hole it has to be a pretty close in size. and slowly drill it out. if not enough room for a drill to fit and drill straight buy a 90 degree chuck that hooks up to a drill. cost about 19 for it last time i bought one.
buy 2 or 3 lenghts of tubing if you have to drill alot and change them out when they start to wear.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If it were me, I'd drop the engine in order to better use a drill and extractor to remove the bolt.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
get some spray lube thats for rusted/stuck parts spray in hole let sit. Get small steel piping or tubing that fits in head bolt hole let it stick up at least a inch from block deck. find a left hand drill bit that fits inside of the tubing inside of bolt hole it has to be a pretty close in size. and slowly drill it out. if not enough room for a drill to fit and drill straight buy a 90 degree chuck that hooks up to a drill. cost about 19 for it last time i bought one.
buy 2 or 3 lenghts of tubing if you have to drill alot and change them out when they start to wear.
That's a good idea but will take me some time and looking to find those exact sizes of pipe and drillbit, especially a drill bit long enough to fit down there. It's about 6" down there, the last inch of the bolt snapped off in those threads. But I will keep it in mind if I can't find anything else.

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If it were me, I'd drop the engine in order to better use a drill and extractor to remove the bolt.
I'm afraid that's what I'll end up doing. I should just start doing it now but want to try to get it out without dropping the engine. Thing is I'm 1000 miles from my base on leave and I have to be back by Monday. Never pulled an engine before and no one is around or has time to dedicate the next few days to help me out so I don't know if I'll make it on time. I'd have a lot of sleepless nights!

I think I may try that JBWeld thing I heard someone say. But if it doesn't work there's 24 hours wasted and I definately wouldn't have time
Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

where in NJ are you
Old 05-28-2008, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

well right now I'm on leave in IL, but I'm stationed at McGuire AFB, NJ

Decided to just pull the engine and take it somewhere to get the bolt out. I got it out tonight. But I wasn't thinking right, the garage is so small. I pulled the car straight in, lifted it up by the raftors, pulled the engine out, now I have to get the car pushed out so I can get the engine out of the garage and on a trailer lmao. it's always somethin. I'm tired tho so I will probably just build somethin tomorrow to wheel it around. anyone have pics of a dolly I can duplicate quickly and easily? Preferably something that can be pushed around in gravel fairly easily?

Thanks guys! I just hope I can get this damn thing back in lol. it was a pain to get it out!

Search this Thread