Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does this procedure look to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this procedure look to you?

It looks like I am finally going to pick up an LS1 for my Belair project. The LS1 and 4L60E have 54K miles on them.

I plan on:

Pulling the pan and looking around.
Install ARP rod bolts
Install TS ported oil pump
Install new LS2 chain assembly
Install MS3 (or something comparable) stick
Install new lifters
New Pushrods

Then, when I have the money:

A set of ported 243 heads or something
FAST 92mm Intake and matching 92mm TB
Obviously new valve springs

The car will NOT be a DD so I want a nasty loping cam that makes a good amount of power through the low and mid range and finish strong on the top end.

If that's possible. I know I will have to compromise somewhere.

Waht say you?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to install new lifters now, you might as well swap the heads too. You have to pull the heads to swap lifters. With only 54K on them, I would use the stock lifters until it's time for the new heads.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If you are going to install new lifters now, you might as well swap the heads too. You have to pull the heads to swap lifters. With only 54K on them, I would use the stock lifters until it's time for the new heads.
Thanks, will do.

Bump I guess but it doesn't seem to interest too many people.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your plan looks OK. I wouldn't worry about the lifters though, unless there is some serious sign of damage on the stock cam when its pulled.

Have you heard this motor run, and sure there is no knock? That would be my number one concern if getting a motor without ever hearing it run if its used.

If I were you, I would do the following...

Pull pan inspect and add new ARP rod bolts
Install a double roller timing chain, new oil pump sprung for higher pressures.
New Cam (whatever your choice, I would honestly recommend at TR224 size cam instead of the MS3)
New pushrods/valvesprings/seals/locks/retainers (Patriot Golds)

You should be able to do the following since you're not going to do the lifters yet...(the savings of supplies and new lifters should soak up most of the costs of these below)
Ported throttlebody
LS6 intake
85mm MAF
UD pulley

Then, delete the AIR/EGR systems, throttlebody coolant bypass mod, and some sort of header system. After all of that, get it tuned.

Once you have more money, then the top end goes together... AFR205's, Port match Fast 90/NW90mm tb (not sure if the 92mm stuff will make any more power for your smaller ci motor) and probably high rate injectors 36lb's most likely.

Hope this gets you off to a good start.

Best,
Adrian

Last edited by Haans249; 06-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, i forgot to mention, get a new stall for that auto! It'll make a world of difference for you on top of all the other changes.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Thanks Adrian.

Yeah I was worried about buying the engine without hearing it run but it's coming from a pretty reputable salvage yard. He said the car was hit hard in the rear. I believe he still has the car there that it came out of.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Outstanding then. As long as you feel comfortable about the motor you should be good to go.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like it's gonna be a cool ride! Plans sound pretty good. On the cam, may I recommend going with a custom grind for your needs? Won't cost hardly any more and will be exactly what your looking for instead of a compromise. The MS3 is a strong runner though no doubt. Then you can match converter and gears. Maybe 3.73s and a 3600 stall. Maybe a little hit of the good stuff . Really a sweet ride my dad had one with a built big block and a 4 speed. Fun car. Good luck and I for one want to see pics!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RZRSEDGE
Sounds like it's gonna be a cool ride! Plans sound pretty good. On the cam, may I recommend going with a custom grind for your needs? Won't cost hardly any more and will be exactly what your looking for instead of a compromise. The MS3 is a strong runner though no doubt. Then you can match converter and gears. Maybe 3.73s and a 3600 stall. Maybe a little hit of the good stuff . Really a sweet ride my dad had one with a built big block and a 4 speed. Fun car. Good luck and I for one want to see pics!
Here is the latest pic before she went to the body shop last week. It's a crappy lowering job in photoshop

Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet ride in the making!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Haans249
Your plan looks OK. I wouldn't worry about the lifters though, unless there is some serious sign of damage on the stock cam when its pulled.

Have you heard this motor run, and sure there is no knock? That would be my number one concern if getting a motor without ever hearing it run if its used.

If I were you, I would do the following...

Pull pan inspect and add new ARP rod bolts
Install a double roller timing chain, new oil pump sprung for higher pressures.
New Cam (whatever your choice, I would honestly recommend at TR224 size cam instead of the MS3)
New pushrods/valvesprings/seals/locks/retainers (Patriot Golds)

You should be able to do the following since you're not going to do the lifters yet...(the savings of supplies and new lifters should soak up most of the costs of these below)
Ported throttlebody
LS6 intake
85mm MAF
UD pulley

Then, delete the AIR/EGR systems, throttlebody coolant bypass mod, and some sort of header system. After all of that, get it tuned.

Once you have more money, then the top end goes together... AFR205's, Port match Fast 90/NW90mm tb (not sure if the 92mm stuff will make any more power for your smaller ci motor) and probably high rate injectors 36lb's most likely.

Hope this gets you off to a good start.

Best,
Adrian

I actually forgot to ask something.

At what point is the 92/92 stuff needed? and bigger injectors?

Going up in cubes?

Dan