Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Studs Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Main Studs Question

Since I just got my motor bored to 3.905 would it be wise to keep the stock main bolts or upgrade to the ARP main studs? If I decide to upgrade to the ARP main studs then what precautionary measures do I need to make so that my engine balance isn't thrown off?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The main studs aren't reciprocating weight, so they won't affect the balance.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have done this before boring the motor. You need a to line hone the block when you install main studs because they will clamp the main caps to the block differently than a set of bolts will (they also change the patterns of deformation of the main caps). This is important because this determines your bearing clearences as well as a baseline for the rest of the machine work on the motor, including boring the cylinders. Installing main studs is not just a simple swap from the stock hardware.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't know that. If you swapped the OEM main caps for, say, a set of billet main caps, I could see having to do an align hone. I studded my bottom end, and, after plastigaging, all 5 mains came in at .0015". I agree that stud nuts apply a different clamping force than bolts would; the clamping force, or so I've been told, is a "truer", more vertical force than what you'd get using bolts, which apply more of a "twist".

I hope the consistent plastigage readings I got are an indication that studding the bottom end of my engine, without doing an align hone, isn't going to turn into a catastrophic bottom end failure down the road.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
You should have done this before boring the motor. You need a to line hone the block when you install main studs because they will clamp the main caps to the block differently than a set of bolts will (they also change the patterns of deformation of the main caps). This is important because this determines your bearing clearences as well as a baseline for the rest of the machine work on the motor, including boring the cylinders. Installing main studs is not just a simple swap from the stock hardware.
Excellent point and cant be stressed enough, even if your using OEM, you still want to line hone it. WE have a little trick we do with this as well to ensure results. At least you measured and took precautions where most dont even bother with it, they just slap it together and then wonder why they spin a bearing prematurely.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Excellent point and cant be stressed enough, even if your using OEM, you still want to line hone it. WE have a little trick we do with this as well to ensure results. At least you measured and took precautions where most dont even bother with it, they just slap it together and then wonder why they spin a bearing prematurely.
+1, even though I'm kinda new to the LS1 game, I've been turning wrenches since I was a little kid. I'm glad to see that the above poster at least checked, and got lucky!!! I wish my current motor would have been the same way. I hate to see guys buying the best of the best when it comes to parts, and then skimping out when it comes to machine work/assembly/clearance checking. This stuff is cheap when compared to the cost of rebuying everything you just spent a ton of hard earned money on.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I originally DID want to align hone (or is "align bore" the more technically correct term?) the main bearing bore before reassembly. The "guru" at the machine shop that did the cylinder wall plateau hone told me that, unless I was having the block resleeved, or was using aftermarket main caps, an align hone would be unnecessary. He did offer to measure the main bearing bore if I brought him all the caps & studs, so I did.

When I picked up the block, the machinist said the main bores were right on the money, and just about dead-on in alignment with the cam bearing bore. I was still kind of pushing for the align hone, and the machinist said that if I insisted, he'd be glad to take my money. He also said that had the bore measurements been suspect, he wouldn't have put his shop's reputation on the line by skipping the procedure.

I already mentioned how consistent the main bearing clearances came out, but I didn't mention how effortlessly the crank spun when I wrenched 'er over a few times....every bit as smoothly as the cam, after I installed the cam bearings. But that may not mean a thing. End play measured .0045". I still don't understand how smacking the crank forward & back "aligns" the thrust bearings, but that's what the instructions said to do, so I did it.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We dont take chances, we always line hone and yea align hone...LOL

We dont consider it taking anyones money to follow proper procedure on every engine we build. There are lots of experts out there who skips steps.. we dont see a need to. You either do it right or you dont, there is no gray area on skipping steps to save money.

just about dead-on in alignment with the cam bearing bore
is not good enough for us that's why we always line hone..
Old 06-15-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hope this doesn't turn into a train wreck.............
Old 06-16-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Well thanks for that information. I am keeping the main studs and caps the same then just for that reason. I talked to my machinist and another pro guy here locally and they said that main studs aren't necessary for what I'm doing anyhow. So it's better now just to play it safe and keep the existing bolts and caps and torque them to specs. I'm currently file fitting the top and secondary rings for the new pistons and what a major PITA that is. I'll be going .023" top and .025" second rings just because I'll be spraying the motor after I seat the rings. I think it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour just to get 4 rings filed...
Old 06-16-2008, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Well this sucks. When I had the block work done I had them use my old bolts... but I bought a set of ARP studs to replace them.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

So how bad of an idea will it be to go with main studs even though the machine work was done with the old main bolts?

Quick Reply: Main Studs Question