Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjusting idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting idle

i've heard that people with cams sometimes drill a hole in their throttle body blade to raise the idle. i have my TB off right now and was looking at it because i'm about to send it to Damian to get it ported and i noticed a little screw that the piece that moves to open the blade rests on when its closed. couldn't you just adjust that screw to keep the blade open a little bit while its idling and accomplish the same thing as drilling a hole, except you could reajust it, wheras you couldn't fill the hole back in? or is this what tuners do to raise the idle?

p.s. sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in, please move the thread if it's not.

Last edited by dutinsss; 06-09-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Some people use that to make small adjustments, but your have to reset your TPS if you move it too far.

Its really there more for a stop to keep the TB from sticking closed in cold weather.

I just enlarged the hole a tiny bit on mine.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ok. i looked at it a little closer and i'm guessing you'd have to get a longer screw to adjust it very far at all.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

A little bit goes a long way on the TB screw. A turn or two will make a pretty big difference. Try it and you'll see. Plus it can be undone. Once you drill the blade its like that for good. Drilling the blade should be a last resort. Idle for all but the largest of cams (240+) can be compensated in your tune.