Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam guys, how much am I giving up with this cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cam guys, how much am I giving up with this cam?

I just put together a 416 and I am using the same cam from my 383. The 383trapped 130 with alot less head in less than ideal conditions so the cam works. The new motor runs hard and is 8 tenths faster in the gear I tune in. But over all I am not all that impressed. I hate leaving any thing on the table. I wanted to go solid roller but I don't see that happening any time soon. I figured with the cubes I could get away with a cam around 6* larger with no ill effects over the 383 in drivability. I also think the lobe sep could be tightend up for more bottom end. The goal is 9.9@137 in drag trim out of a daily driven car.

Cam
Comp XER 244/248 .612/.615 114+4 installed on a 109.5 icl

Combo
416 SCR 12.01 DCR 8.72
TFS 235's Intake flow is 38cfm better from .300-.600. Exhaust is over 40cfm as well over the PRC heads I had on the 383. Indipendant flow numbers.
Vengeance ported 90/90
Comp 850's
YT UL RR's
Vararam
UD pulley
Kooks 1 7/8 : 383 had LG's
3" X no catts : 383 had catts
Borla stingers
39lb injectors
Tex 0Z700

I know a few guys in here get paid for thier knowlege. I am not looking for specs persay. I just want to confirm that I could or could not get more out of a different cam grind and what I, or others, should be looking for when they spec a cam for this type motor. Thanks.

Brett

Last edited by Pray; 06-12-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
I
I know a few guys in here get paid for thier knowlege. I am not looking for specs persay. I just want to confirm that I could or could not get more out of a different cam grind. Thanks.

Brett
You could.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Care to expound on your answer? Possibly why I could make more, or how much more I could make. Are my valve events wrong, lobe sep, things like that? I am looking for technical information so any one with a like combo can make the correct cam choice the first time.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Care to expound on your answer? Possibly why I could make more, or how much more I could make. Are my valve events wrong, lobe sep, things like that? I am looking for technical information so any one with a like combo can make the correct cam choice the first time.
I am not looking for specs persay.
Which way is it?

I'm not a cam guy. I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to specify valve events. When I want a cam for a specific engine combination and driver desires, I go to a cam guy who can do the job.

IMO, it is more important to have the correct valve events, as well as valverain parts than to discuss how many more degrees of duration, LSA, overlap, etc will make X more horsepower. Done correctly, specifying a cam for your desires/combination may take several hours of the cam person's time. I would not expect that information for no cost, nor would I expect it posted on the internet.

Choose your cam guy carefully, discuss you wants and desires and buy the parts from him and install the cam at the ICL specified. You may or may not get exact specs. If that is not enough for you, choose someone else or stay with a shelf, "almost fits everything" cam.

Personally if I had an engine as costly as yours I would want mine to run quicker/faster than other similar engines. I'd keep the power "secrets" to myself. But then, I've never been very altruistic.

Jon
Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see your point. That is why I went and edited my first post. What I meant was, I am not looking for some one to spec me a cam for free. I plan on paying Pat G for that when I have the money. He specd a cam for me in the past that worked very well. But I don't want to spend $400 for a cam and do all the labor for five to ten rwhp. If the cam I have is specd fairly well then I may just leave well enough alone. I would like some kind of technical direction though. Like "416's like a wider lobe sep because..." or "with your heads I would use a 6* split instead of a single pattern cam..." or "you can cam up 4* when going with 33 more cubes..." I am looking at opening up discussion on the subject. People could even give .050 numbers because that tells very little of the story. I am not a big secrets guy. There is alot more that goes into beating the other guy then my cam specs. So I don't mind putting my findings out for every one to read. To beat me you still have to duplicate the combo exactly, drive better than me, and have your car sorted out properly. I hope I clarified my original post. Thanks for your responses.