Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has this ever happened to you? revs going up

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has this ever happened to you? revs going up

Only a couple times in the past have my rpm's hung where they were when I'd push the clutch in, and then they decayed slowly.
So today I'm drivin' a short uphill twistie spot on the way home, get to the toward the top of the hill, push the clutch in at 3k, the revs went up to approx. 3700, then came back down slooowly, all under moderate braking.

Anyone know what that was all about?
V/R
Old 08-15-2003, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Has this ever happened to you? revs going up

My car will do that from time to time, too, especially if I'm on a roll coming up to a red light or stop sign and I coast it in. I think the vehicle speed sensor is to "blame". Computer controlled cars put a new spin on vehicle dynamics. Usually I don't approach an intersection at 3K + but sometime around 2K or <. The car still will hang around 1500 and then will settle almost immediately when I stop.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weird, is your battery good?, that could be one cause!
Old 08-15-2003, 04:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay if your going up the hill, your engine is under load, you depress the clutch your revs will go up, this will happen on any car, they engine doesn't need to work as hard, same fuel/air you will get more revs.
With the LS1 the computer controls your rev's decay. It will keep the same air/fuel at the moment you depress the clutch, therefore more revs, then it will decay fast or slow depending on the speed of the vehicle.

Your car is probably running normally, mine does a few oddities with the revs when the SES light is on.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Hydro,
Does it happen consistently? I've twice had a similar problem with my 2001 Chevy ZR2 pickup. Right when you'd push in the clutch (basically removing the load from the engine) the revs wouldn't drop like normal, but instead they'd jump up another 200-300rpm or so and then slowly come down. In my case it was not intermittent - it happened every time I shifted and was more pronounced at higher engine speeds/loads.

The first time it happened to me it did it for a day or so and then stopped. Very soon after that went away, I started to have problems with my starter randomly trying to engage while I was driving (this was lots of fun ). We finally tracked it down to a faulty clutch anticipate switch. Basically this switch tells the PCM that the clutch is being engaged. The second time I had the revving problem - about a year later - it actually triggered the SES light (can't remember what the code was - P07.. something). Off hand I'm not sure if the F-bodies use the same type of system since I've never had occasion to check, but if your problem is consistent like mine was, it might be something to look into.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It happens to me whenever I drive hard and then let off the clutch and throw it in neutral like Jabroni said. I was woudering about it for a while, but was never concerned b/c it only happened when I would drive like an ***.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

guys,
This has only happened once with the revs going up, from 3k to 3700, when the clutch was in. And only a couple times in the past have the revs stayed where they were after the clutch was in.
I have no SES light. I'm gonna try the same stretch of road today, the same way if there's no traffic, and see what happens. The computer must have been fooled by a combination of circumstances.

thanks guys.