Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z06 parts to a camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z06 parts to a camaro...

So I don't actually own a camaro yet, but I plan on owning one soon. My brother has an '01 Z06 and he is getting the trick flow 485 head/cam package and his old heads/cam will be useless to him so i'm wondering if I could put them on a camaro?.
I'm wondering a few things.

1-Will these fit directly on a LS1 camaro?
2-Will I need tuning extremely bad after I put them on?
3-What kind of gains can I expect to get going from stock to this setup?

I know that the 01's are only rated at 385 but shouldn't it be an upgrade over the stock heads/cam of a camaro?
It's a free mod too...
Thanks for any of your input.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cobalt9123
So I don't actually own a camaro yet, but I plan on owning one soon. My brother has an '01 Z06 and he is getting the trick flow 485 head/cam package and his old heads/cam will be useless to him so i'm wondering if I could put them on a camaro?.
I'm wondering a few things.

1-Will these fit directly on a LS1 camaro?
2-Will I need tuning extremely bad after I put them on?
3-What kind of gains can I expect to get going from stock to this setup?

I know that the 01's are only rated at 385 but shouldn't it be an upgrade over the stock heads/cam of a camaro?
It's a free mod too...
Thanks for any of your input.
1. Yes, they'll fit.
2. It'll run, but you should definitely get it tuned. It'll run better, make more power, all that good stuff.
3. Do you have any bolt ons yet? If you're still on the stock exhaust, LS1 intake manifold, stock lid, etc. you won't be seeing anywhere near the full potential of the heads and cam. You should really have all (or close) the bolt ons before venturing inside the engine. It's hard to say how much power you will make without knowing how much power you currently make. Know what I mean?

And I'll be the first of many to tell you this:
It honestly isn't worth the effort of a heads/cam swap for a set of stock ls6 heads and cam.

Another thing: The swap wouldn't really be free either. You still need all the gaskets that would need to be replaced. Head gaskets, timing cover seal/gasket, crank bolt, oil pan o ring...
Old 06-14-2008, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
1. Yes, they'll fit.
2. It'll run, but you should definitely get it tuned. It'll run better, make more power, all that good stuff.
3. Do you have any bolt ons yet? If you're still on the stock exhaust, LS1 intake manifold, stock lid, etc. you won't be seeing anywhere near the full potential of the heads and cam. You should really have all (or close) the bolt ons before venturing inside the engine. It's hard to say how much power you will make without knowing how much power you currently make. Know what I mean?

And I'll be the first of many to tell you this:
It honestly isn't worth the effort of a heads/cam swap for a set of stock ls6 heads and cam.

Another thing: The swap wouldn't really be free either. You still need all the gaskets that would need to be replaced. Head gaskets, timing cover seal/gasket, crank bolt, oil pan o ring...
Yeah i knew i'd need all the gaskets and what not but I figured the heads/cam were free. I only thought about this because from what some people have told me aftermarket heads/cams have problems with idling right, get horrible gas mileage, and are extremely loud.
Now I'm sure that this isn't true for all head/cam combinations, I just haven't seemed to find the right one yet.
And with gas the way it is I figured this wouldn't be a horrible hit on my gas money.
Which heads/cam would you suggest for good power and not killing the gas mileage/idle/ not getting a horrible sound?
Thanks a lot.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt9123
Which heads/cam would you suggest for good power and not killing the gas mileage/idle/ not getting a horrible sound?
Thanks a lot.
none...stick with your cobalt
Old 06-14-2008, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

get set of long tube headers and a ls6 intake.. throw those ls6 heads on and the ls6 cam and you will have a solid 380ish to the wheels and it will sound like nothing but a bolt-on car.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
none...stick with your cobalt
not talking about getting a lot of gas mileage, and you certainly can't complain, for I also drive a Dodge dakota 5.9L r/t that gets 8-9MPG in the city and 15 on the highway AT BEST.
Hate the cobalt.
Thanks for being an *** though
Old 06-14-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ProjectDuStU
get set of long tube headers and a ls6 intake.. throw those ls6 heads on and the ls6 cam and you will have a solid 380ish to the wheels and it will sound like nothing but a bolt-on car.
yea I was planning on getting the FAST 90 intake and Wilson TB, either QTP or Kooks LTs(haven't decided) and haven't decided on whether to go with cats or not to the magnaflow catback. Along with an SLP lid.
I know it has to breathe before a cam/heads can be put in.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

no I was being a dick, not an ***...there is a difference. but I dont feel your going to get a well mannered car once you start sticking bigger cams, and heads, and all the things you want to do. I believe you are asking for a hot rod that behaves on the street like a civic. That was the whole point to the above statement. And the car is going to make noise no matter what...they where put together shitty to begin with, with as much as I love these cars thats the truth.

Last edited by 99mongooSS; 06-14-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
no I was being a dick, not an ***...there is a difference. but I dont feel your going to get a well mannered car once you start sticking bigger cams, and heads, and all the things you want to do. I believe you are asking for a hot rod that behaves on the street like a civic. That was the whole point to the above statement. And the car is going to make noise no matter what...they where put together shitty to begin with, with as much as I love these cars thats the truth.
Ha i'm not asking for the sound or manners of a civic, I heard a video once(I'll try to find it) of a red GTO that all you could hear was the cam, absolutely nothing else. No exhaust. Just cam. And the car cut off a few times.
That's all i'm trying to avoid, I could care less how loud the car is..I just dont' want the only sound i hear to be tick tick tick.

kind of like this, but not the exact vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feovvm9qA0o

Last edited by cobalt9123; 06-14-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned

1- Yes
2- No
3- 30-40 rwhp

Get his pushrods from him too, and you shouldn't have any of that really bad ticking (they will be the correct length if you use GM mls headgaskets.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did this to a friend's car. It ran absolutely fine w/ stock tune, but I am sure there is more in it w/ one. Heads, cam, rockers, and pushrods will transfer over.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

get him to get a different intake manifold also and take his ls6 if you do not have an 01 or 02 car. I would say you will pick up a solid thirty horsepower and lose no gas mileage at the same time and it will idle like a camp but you could use a tune. also run small head gaskets to bump the compression and trade your cam for the 02+ zo6 cam (the truck guys love your cam i mean brothers cam) and you will see another 10 horsepower with those mods.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Loud exhaust has more to do with the exhaust it's self than the cam and heads. While it is true that a large cam will make your exhaust overly loud, a mild cam with a wide LSA will not.

Personally I would not waste time with the cam from your bothers Z, it is barely bigger than the stock LS1 cam. If you want something mild I'd try something like the MTI Stealth II or simular cam. With normal bolt-ons, the cam and heads should net you around 390 ish RWHP with minimal effects on gas milliage.

Re'
Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Not to Hijack your thread, but I see your from Winder Georgia. I have some family that lives there. Do you by any chance know Bill or Sarah Cartmill? BTW the head and cam swap would be a good gain in power, but I would look for an 01+ LS6 cam...