Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More problems with the new motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More problems with the new motor

Well, of coarse i have more problems . To start im swaping a 408 lq9 in my 01 t/a, I was not getting oil pressure because the 5/8ths freeze plug to the oil galley was not in and i had to take the front cover off again to put that in. Car cranked up and ran semi-fine but of coarse that oil pressure problem. First off i took the drivers side header off to check the oil galley above the oil filter to see if the dumbell/barbell was in and it was. put everything back and cranked it and it ran like **** and cut off. didnt think anything of it because i still had no pressure and pulled the front cover, put found there was no freeze plug, installed it and put everything back together. Also replaced the sending unit while i was working on it. Now the car will turn over but not start. Im getting spark and getting fuel to the fuel rails. There is about 3 clicks or so under the hood when i put the key in the on position. Figured it may be a ground so i went over them again and they all look good (im no expert). I also thought it may be a ground because the gagues kinda go crazy every now and then when i tried to start it when it wouldnt fire. Just seemed weird that it could be a ground becuase it ran fine (for a stock tune) before i unbolted the drivers side header. Any suggestions? Im about to get even more pissed, take it up to RPM, drop it off and say fix it and tune it, ill be back in a week or so, but thats not logical since im a full time student on a budget . Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ground on the head is it tight? Also you said it ran like **** what about the crank sensor? make sure your battery is tight also. check the small stuff I know how being on a budget can be!.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Yes, the grounds on the head were tight, i made sure of that before we put the motor in. Does it sound like a grounding issue maybe?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:03 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Ive had starter/battery problems that have yielded similar results.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Launching!

My car did the same thing 2 weeks when i fired it up, i knew the grounds were tight on the head, ended up from being back there getting everything on one of the grounds broke, found a new ground and everything was fixed
Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

double checked the grounds and sensors and didnt see anything. Sounds like its not getting fuel when its turning over. Its getting fuel to the rails and its getting spark. I sprayed some starter fluid in it and the weird thing is it blew it back as if it were pushing air out from the airfilter instead of sucking it in. I took off the brake booster and tried to turn it over and its barly sucking any air in. Ive got a friend comming sometime this week to check the codes, but anyone have any suggestions till then? Timing maybe?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

well the fuel pump may not be pumping enough fuel to the rails. lack of fuel pressure.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

You wernt supposed to see this Justin...
Old 06-23-2008, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

well i wouldve found out what you had sooner or later man. lol
Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Got a friend of mine to come read the codes its throwing... well its not. WTF. It has the check engine light, the reader read the VIN off the car, but said everything passed (which was a lie considering i dont have AIR, EGR, CATS, big cam, ect ect.) Car is on stock tune. said everything passed with no codes or pending codes. Anyone know wtf it could be? maybe the pcm?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

If it blew air back, are you sure your cam timing is spot on?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I did it dot to dot, and turned the motor over multiple times and it ran. I may pull the front cover again to see if it is, but it should still be fine. I wouldnt think that was it, expecially if the codes were not reading.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Teching In

is your oil pump working
Old 07-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Teching In

try a noid light on the injectors to see if they are pulsing. With the air blowing back out of the intake you may want to check the compression, may have a valve not sealing.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

So if I understand correctly, the engine was running, you removed the L header, and the front cover, replaced the oil galley plunger and now it turns over but won't start?

Do you hear the fuel pump build pressure when you turn the ign on?
Have you checked the fuses?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Well update: the freeze plug in the behind the timing cover was missing, replaced and have oil pressure. Checked the timing and boy was it off. It was dot to dot, but when piston 1 was at the bottom and not tdc. Should have checked that since the engine builder did that. Anyways, cranked it up, drove it around and all is good now (aside from the fact i had to drop the tranny again to fix a clutch issue and i have no brakes nor power steering). damn this car