Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Swap Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Swap Problem...

Just got an LS6 Crate Motor, swapped it in with no problems. Primed the oil pump, poured oil on the top end, ran it with 15w40. Fired up first try, no problem or hesistation... The engine was loud which I expected, but after most of the noise went away, there was still a very loud and rapid noise that sounds like a small hammer hitting against hollow metal... You can hear it from the back, underneath and both sides of the car. Oil pressure is @ 55 psi idle. The crate motor went in without any altercations. The only thing I had to do inside the engine was swap the firebird oil pan and pick up tube. When I did this it would not fit the metal seperator between the crank and the oil pan so I flattened a portion of the seperator in order to mount the pick up tube. Checked for clearance and it was not getting in the way or coming in contact with anything that it shouldn't have... I'm both pissed and confused. Any ideas on what to do? What it could be? Hopefully, similar situations? Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Piston slap? It will go away once its warmed up
Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Take a screwdriver or piece of rubber hose and try to find out where the noise is coming from.
One end on your ear as you prob the engine with the other end.
You should be able to pin point it or come very close and save yourself some unnecessary tear down.
Good luck
Ryan
Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks Ryan. Did that and I think I found my culprit. I used the LS6 Oil Deflector and had to do some fabrication to the deflector to make it work with the LS1 pick up tube. I believe there is a small portion of the deflector that the crank is rubbing on. I'm hoping that it hasn't caused any damage. Going to change the windage tray with the fbody one, but I'm going to have to change the bolt pattern. Thanks guys.