Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main cap install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Main cap install

Im starting to assembly my shortblock. As i look at the mains i noticed their all numberd 1-5. 1-4 the numbers are all on the same side of the block. Should the number 5 main have the number on the same side as well? It just doesnt look like its right when the numbers are all in a row. If i have the 5 on the opposite side it looks correct.

Also is there anything i need to do special when installing the timing chain? As long as i line the timing dots up i should be ok?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct 1-4 is on one side while number 5 is opposite at the other end. If you look closely you can see that the main cap side bolts are slightly offset to the center of the caps. This will help you know which way to put them in ;-) Also, not sure if you had the crank balanced and assembled at a machine shop or not but you have to check all your clearances and crank end play etc. If you're not sure then go to your local parts store and get a plastigauge and do it yourself. They're about $6.00 but worth the piece of mind in the end.

Like this:

Last edited by Halloran; 06-26-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Halloran
You are correct 1-4 is on one side while number 5 is opposite at the other end. If you look closely you can see that the main cap side bolts are slightly offset to the center of the caps. This will help you know which way to put them in ;-) Also, not sure if you had the crank balanced and assembled at a machine shop or not but you have to check all your clearances and crank end play etc. If you're not sure then go to your local parts store and get a plastigauge and do it yourself. They're about $6.00 but worth the piece of mind in the end.

Like this:

thats what i needed to know. Thank you. Yes ive had the block honed and the crank and all that balanced. This isnt a stroker motor..so all my clearances should be good. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Main cap install