Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do u have oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do u have oil consumption?

On my 01 SS i noticed that i will consume about q quart give or take of oil b/t oil changes. GM does have a TSB out for this on several models jus not Camaros.

this is only partial, as it is long and tells u what to check and so forth jus interesting. this TBS was pulled off of Alldata. its long so sorry, any thoughts. i consume oil b/c i drove 100 miles a day, and at my highway speeds. when my motor blew b/c of water, i found my intake ports on the heads have been sending oil into the combustion chamber for a while. Any body have the same thing happen to them when u did H/C swap or something. jus odd that the oil is going threw the intake, would make more since if it was only exhaust due to rings or something. maybe the PCV system. Any thoughts? enjoy the reading material

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-011D

Date: April 03, 2007

INFORMATION
Subject:
Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Models:
1998-2007 GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline Powered Light[/COLOR] Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn)

2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to include information on manual transmission vehicles and additional warranty statements.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011C (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Certain 2006 and 2007 models have a new GM Extended Warranty. Please refer to the appropriate Owner's Manual for warranty information.

This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption

-Aggressive Driving High Speed or High RPM Driving

Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. By "aggressive," we mean operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This characteristic does, however, require the owner to check the engine oil level at sufficiently frequent intervals, especially when driving aggressively, to assure the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. As the Owner's Manual recommends, you should check the oil level every time you get fuel.