Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil: Switching to synthetic.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil: Switching to synthetic.

I read some posts in a search and just wanted to get a good consensus.

I currently use dino oil 10w30 and I have no oil consumption. I was told the synthetic blends would help my car out a bit for the longevity for wear and tear, not to mention I beat the **** out of it. After reading I came to this conclusion:
For the summer use either Amsoil 10w30 or Redline 10w30, and for the winter, use 5w30 of the same blend. Am I correct with this information? Also, how much does 1qt of redline cost? I found amsoil for $6.99 each.

And if I wanted to stay with dino oil go with Castrol GTX 10w40.

Am I right after reading all of this?
Thanks
-Steve
Old 08-19-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Oil: Switching to synthetic.

...stick with Royal Purple (10w 40W) and Fram oil filters....

Simply THE BEST... ...just ask Patman#1.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For dino oils, GTX 10w40 or Pennzoil 10w40 would work very well.

For synthetics, Amsoil or Redline 10w30 both work very well, but you could honestly use their 5w30 all year round, because in both cases their 5w30s don't thin out.

For oil filters, I like the K&Ns myself, or a good lower cost alternative is the NAPA Gold/Wix.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 10w30 is more for areas like were I live. It is not uncomen to get 110 degree days. When you get out on the pavement in this kind of weather the heat from the road is killer. I use 5w30 only when the days start out at less then 50 degrees and don't go over 60. Also see the post in the new bee section. I answered a question simular to your there about mobile one oil.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well since I didnt have the time to change the oil myself yesterday (stupid fiance wanted to spend time together on our anniv...go figure!?!?) I ended up getting butt raped for a whoping $76 oil change over at Belle Tire. They charged me 9.99 a qt as apposed to 6.99 a qt at autozone for amsoil 5w30 and an amsoil filter. Oh well, they said that the oil SHOULD last me 6k miles(which makes it about $35 a change which is decent) and on cars that dont race around as much, it could last 10k-12kmi without a change. I'll probably end up changing it right on the 6k mark and do it myself next time since the woman wont be bugging me.
The reason I HAD to change the oil ASAP is because I just did a H/C swap and I am heading to the track today, so I needed the change anyhoo.
-Steve
Old 08-20-2003, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well since I didnt have the time to change the oil myself yesterday (stupid fiance wanted to spend time together on our anniv...go figure!?!?) I ended up getting butt raped for a whoping $76 oil change over at Belle Tire. They charged me 9.99 a qt as apposed to 6.99 a qt at autozone for amsoil 5w30 and an amsoil filter. Oh well, they said that the oil SHOULD last me 6k miles(which makes it about $35 a change which is decent) and on cars that dont race around as much, it could last 10k-12kmi without a change. I'll probably end up changing it right on the 6k mark and do it myself next time since the woman wont be bugging me.
The reason I HAD to change the oil ASAP is because I just did a H/C swap and I am heading to the track today, so I needed the change anyhoo.
-Steve

I'm gonna start a post to give people a play by play of my bowel movements. I think we need more useless posts like this on the forum.

Here, I'll even give you a preview..
"Thinking about taking a dump.."
Old 08-20-2003, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

-Steve

I'm gonna start a post to give people a play by play of my bowel movements. I think we need more useless posts like this on the forum.

Riiiiiight, jackass. This isn't ls1.com =)
-Steve
Old 08-20-2003, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

[/quote]

Kinda harsh huh? Was it a sinker or floater?

To get back to the subject, what's the consensus with Mobil One?
Old 08-20-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMHO, it's too thin for the LS1. I prefer German made Castrol 0w30, Amsoil 5w30 or Redline 5w30.

If you definitely must use Mobil 1, mix in a quart or two of their 15w50 to beef up their 5w30 or 10w30. But be careful with that mixture in the winter, since it won't offer as good of a cold cranking performance as those other choices I mentioned above.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

[/quote]

I'm just screwing with Steve. I work with him and he calls me every 20 minutes with a different question or to alert me to a post on here.

BTW it sank like a rock
Old 08-20-2003, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

IMHO, it's too thin for the LS1. I prefer German made Castrol 0w30, Amsoil 5w30 or Redline 5w30.

If you definitely must use Mobil 1, mix in a quart or two of their 15w50 to beef up their 5w30 or 10w30. But be careful with that mixture in the winter, since it won't offer as good of a cold cranking performance as those other choices I mentioned above.
Patman! Long time no hear! I "talked" with you back in '98 when LS1's first hit the scene. You are the sage!
'Glad you stuck around to help the cause! Anyway, back to Mobil One, I'm in S. Florida so the coldest start this LS1 will ever see is about 55 degrees. Should I still mix and blend?

Man, it's great to still see you around.

Patman
Old 08-20-2003, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

I'm just screwing with Steve. I work with him and he calls me every 20 minutes with a different question or to alert me to a post on here.

BTW it sank like a rock

[/quote]

Need more fiber in your diet! And I do like the camaraderie!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Patman! Long time no hear! I "talked" with you back in '98 when LS1's first hit the scene. You are the sage!
'Glad you stuck around to help the cause! Anyway, back to Mobil One, I'm in S. Florida so the coldest start this LS1 will ever see is about 55 degrees. Should I still mix and blend?

Man, it's great to still see you around.

Yep, I'm still around, I no longer have my 98 Formula though. I made the mistake of trading it for a 97 GTP, then wanted back into the f-body world, so now I drive a 95 Formula. Not as much fun but better than a four door front drive V6!

With your climate the mixing method should work out very well. Go for it!