Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPONSERS!! I need a short block!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPONSERS!! I need a short block!

I am probably in the market for buying a new short block or getting my block reconditioned. I already have the heads, cam, and valve train I want to keep (which I will be installing). I also have Katech rod bolts already. I need some prices on a short block and rotating assembly with forged pistons for nitrous in the future. I'm not sure about the connecting rods yet though... recondition or H beam. Please PM me or reply in this thread if you can give me pricing or estimates or need more info.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

i'm in the same position and have had good replies so far from Leo at Weber race engineering and chris @ cc performance parts.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shoot me a PM with what you're wanting...more cubes, or stock-ish? What heads/cam including chambers size? What compression goals do you have? Any preference on brand names you'd like in your short-block?

Let me know and include your e-mail address. I'll make a custom quote for you and e-mail it over. It'll be in an easy to read .pdf format generated by our computer system, not hand-written in chicken-scratch handwriting

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent you a pm, thank you chris-m for the kind words
Old 07-03-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas-Speed are great people do deal with.

Good Luck with your build.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately send Matt a email on what you need. We typically stock as many as 50 short-blocks at a time so hopefully we have what your looking for!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Not to hijack but typically does a cam come as part of the short block, or long block I have always wondered, becuase or LS engines are pushrods.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joe0121
Not to hijack but typically does a cam come as part of the short block, or long block I have always wondered, becuase or LS engines are pushrods.
Typically, no...the camshaft would not be included in the short-block. But we do offer to put a camshaft, cam retainer plate, and timing set on a short-block for an additional $429.99

All of our long-blocks do ship with a camshaft installed, unless requested otherwise by the customer

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

No the cam is not included in the short block price but more often than not the customer will ask for a custom cam to be ground and we'll install (degree) it in for free. We charge $405 for a new cam and cam plate with ARP bolts.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

minus cam would suit me anyway as i have my own to re-fit, so will get in touch as want a few price options.
shipping is the key for me being in the UK, its a lump on top plus i have to pay import duty and vat (grrrrrrr) on the lot. damn governments! lol
the price of parts is so much cheaper in the US compared to here though, we'd typically pay x2 for the same build here for same spec.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Typically, no...the camshaft would not be included in the short-block. But we do offer to put a camshaft, cam retainer plate, and timing set on a short-block for an additional $429.99

All of our long-blocks do ship with a camshaft installed, unless requested otherwise by the customer
Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
No the cam is not included in the short block price but more often than not the customer will ask for a custom cam to be ground and we'll install (degree) it in for free. We charge $405 for a new cam and cam plate with ARP bolts.
ok thats what I thought, I have a Comp cam already but I'd want something more aggressive for my forged 402.

again apologies to the OP but up to what displacement can you go on an LS1 before going to a different block, and from your prices on short blocks it is cheaper to get an all new short block then just add he forged componets to the stock block, especially if you can sail the old motor after the fact. I was expecting to pay 10K for a forged 402 long block, now it seems I could get the engine and have it installed with a little $$$ left over
Old 07-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chris-m
minus cam would suit me anyway as i have my own to re-fit, so will get in touch as want a few price options.
shipping is the key for me being in the UK, its a lump on top plus i have to pay import duty and vat (grrrrrrr) on the lot. damn governments! lol
the price of parts is so much cheaper in the US compared to here though, we'd typically pay x2 for the same build here for same spec.
I didnt move to Australia for that reason hard to find people able to work on a Corvette over there.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Banned

Yep, you have to add in freight charges as well if your having you own block used. SO your paying shipping to and from at that point.

Our short blocks are competatively priced and our long blocks as well. All depends on your taste in heads as to the final costs at that point. There is an additional labor charge for the long block assembly but it's minimal. We can build anything your looking for, I just have a few of the current popular builds listed. We will build a 347 if that's what customer wants.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ask fraser at speed inc fraser@speedinc.com he is agreat man to talk to.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

a second hand LS1 would probably be $3000-4000 equivalent over here with no guarantees of lifespan or what use it has had so it makes sense to spend on a new block i hope.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

99BlancoSS is the man to see!

He's got "the best" engine builder building all of his blocks and you would not be happier with the price and quality. If you want cheap Intl Shipping from the US get in contact with a company called PackPro can be found at PackPro.com , Mark@Packpro.com, they quoted me $1100 less for a complete engine to Australia. But as we have a Free trade agreement with the USA (God Bless America ) We don't pay much to the customs boys to get it in.

Another thing you may have to do is declare a dangerous goods shipment as an internal combustion engine is listed. Not sure about a short or longblock as they aren't connected to the oiling system and what not, You should find out before you send it, to be sure.

Same Situation here in Oz, Everything is overpriced. No-one can get a good deal. Not for long...

Joe0121 wise in that sense. Beauitful place though.

But take this into consideration, we pay 80k for a G8, What do you get for say 76k thanks to exchange rate? We pay nearly $1.70 a litre. And for the price of getting someone to work on your american muscle joe, You'd nearly be better off getting a new one!!!

Back to the OP Hope this info helps.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lilscottie
99BlancoSS is the man to see!

He's got "the best" engine builder building all of his blocks and you would not be happier with the price and quality. If you want cheap Intl Shipping from the US get in contact with a company called PackPro can be found at PackPro.com , Mark@Packpro.com, they quoted me $1100 less for a complete engine to Australia. But as we have a Free trade agreement with the USA (God Bless America ) We don't pay much to the customs boys to get it in.

Another thing you may have to do is declare a dangerous goods shipment as an internal combustion engine is listed. Not sure about a short or longblock as they aren't connected to the oiling system and what not, You should find out before you send it, to be sure.

Same Situation here in Oz, Everything is overpriced. No-one can get a good deal. Not for long...

Joe0121 wise in that sense. Beauitful place though.

But take this into consideration, we pay 80k for a G8, What do you get for say 76k thanks to exchange rate? We pay nearly $1.70 a litre. And for the price of getting someone to work on your american muscle joe, You'd nearly be better off getting a new one!!!

Back to the OP Hope this info helps.
Been to Oz twice, loved it and the people have a lot of great mates there thats for sure.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lilscottie

Their is a schedule B number for internal combustion engine, it just falls under many different and very confusing sub headings. None of which are dangerous.

With a good shipping broker they will use a Scheudle B number that results in the consignee paying the least out of their pocket. Brokers are only interested in collecting broker fees, if they do their job well they will cost their client less, kinda like lawyers.

Just be mindful of the materials used to crate the engine, as that can cause some dramas.

Last edited by Fraser@SpeedInc; 07-05-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

pms sent to sponsors above! awaiting prices back thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Banned

The lowest I've been quoted so far was $800 to Germany. Definately pays to shop around.